Who's getting the vaccine

Medical and Healthcare
jennyjj01

Re: Who's getting the vaccine

Post by jennyjj01 »

Plymtom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 am Dr's phoned on the 1st for me to go and have jab 1 on the 2nd I'll be 60 in about 3 weeks and have CML apparently the drugs make my immune system weeker, 3-12 weeks until jab 2 though, some time after that till you are "fully" protected, playing with numbers at 90% effective, that's 1 in 10 chance of getting it is it not?
I'm with Jansman on this there are variations caused by supply and take up, each area right down to your doctors are working down a list to keep the process moving as fast as they can, me getting it doesn't protect the rest of the family, I can as all along accidentally carry it home from the supermarket and infect the other 4 vulnerable people of various ages from 50 down to 21, numbers are strange when you can say Russian roulette depending on the revolver is 5-1 against dying with every go, it is the NHS they are trying to relieve, don't go thinking the government gives a crap about old or disabled dying, if every one of the 100000 dead are on a pension HMG are now £7.5M ( guessing they get £75 a week) a week better off, that's more than we were allegedly going to save with brexit ;)
Hi Plymton. Good news that you are getting it soon.

That 90% effective means you are 10 times less likely to get ill than if you don't get vaccinated, if, and only if, you get exposed. The jury is still out on whether that means you do or don't actually still get infected and able to spread it to your family.

So far, the vaccine is all about stopping people getting seriously ill or dying. We can only hope that it will also reduce transmission within families where not all are yet vaccinated. It's very much a case of "We're none of us safe until we are all safe". Same in my household where 2/3 are clinically vulnerable, so none of us dare risk bringing the virus home.

Maybe if the oldies could die off without clogging up hospitals, your point about money saving would hold more water, but those oldies did get first dibs, which sort of counters your point.

More good news. State pension is a lot more than £75, by the way.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 am No worriess about the CML, a tablet a day and asides from a possibly weak immune system I prefer it to CFS :) ( the other 4 members of family have EDS which Chronic fatigue is part of indeed misdiagnosed as CFS for more than a decade).
Good to hear the treatment is currently that good.
Speaking of CFS a visiting optician who had had covid said he gets bouts of extreme fatigue, rumour is there are many who do who could well now need benefit support for the rest of their lives.
Absolutely - it's long covid that worries me more than death, actually :(
Yes sorry about the political association but in this case they all (*^s in the same pot, not a fag paper between them ;)
No apologies necessary to me :mrgreen: I stand with you on your assessment. Loving the fag paper bit, hadn't heard that before :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

So, I had it yesterday - tiny little effect initially, my word giving vaccines has improved. Really felt quite ill by evening - tender skin, achey joints and headaches. And I slept so long that my arthritis activated in my hips, so I was *still* hurting all over when I got up this morning. Bit better now, I'm going to walk about inside the house. Definitely going to do low-level fitness work for the rest of this month and then into March.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I had it a week ago, no after effects at all. Nowt. But it doesnt cover the new SA variant , reported in FluTrackers.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Got my appointment along with Mrs H on Wednesday. A first step towards the light after 11 months shielding 😀
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:59 pm I had it a week ago, no after effects at all. Nowt. But it doesnt cover the new SA variant , reported in FluTrackers.
Is that the Oxford AZ one?

In the Telegraph, I think its talking about a Financial Times article.
"In this small phase I/II trial, early data has shown limited efficacy against mild disease primarily due to the B.1.351 South African variant," an AstraZeneca spokesman said in response to the FT report.

The newspaper said none of the more than 2,000 trial participants had been hospitalised or died.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes Oxford one but there's a newer study been done in SA - people are becoming infected with the variant even after the vaccine or a previous infection with the original strain.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:16 pm Yes Oxford one but there's a newer study been done in SA - people are becoming infected with the variant even after the vaccine or a previous infection with the original strain.
Can you post a link?
I've just been on flu-trackers and can't find anything due to overload
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

O gawd, I'll try and findit again corvus
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Me and Mum had ours (Oxford/AZ) together first thing Saturday morning. I felt a bit rubbish by evening, bit headachey and a little wobbly, so I took paracetamol and went to bed early. I felt a bit fragile yesterday. It seems to have exaggerated all the bits that ache as standard - in my case, I get regular neck and lower back pain. But I feel better today. Mum also felt rubbish and oh lord I hope she feels better today because I cannot cope with the hypochondria! :lol:

Like hobo, I'm seeing this as a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sick of being stuck inside and being scared to go for a walk because other people DO NOT distance round here! :evil: