Children's knives

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Children's knives

Post by jansman »

The other day,I was putting a new dash cam in my car. I carry a Leatherman Wingman as standard.I was using the screwdriver to poke the wiring in the lining.As I crawled backwards out of the car,I snapped the multi tool shut,and as a couple walked past,I heard the wife say,” he’s got a knife”.

Such is the modern,perceived threat from the most ancient of tools.On Saturday I had to break down a pig in one of the fridges out in the shop car park. As I walked past the socially distanced queue, I could see the look of ( fear?) on a couple of faces, at the knife and saw in my hand.My being there totally legitimate of course, and the armed coppers coming in to get bacon sarnies spoke to me as usual and didn’t bat an eyelid.

That’s where our society is at.Fire and edged tools built and shaped our civilisation,not the bleedin’ internet! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If things keep going at this rate then T.J. Bass's "Sharps Committee" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godwhale) might be next :x
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:22 pm If things keep going at this rate then T.J. Bass's "Sharps Committee" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godwhale) might be next :x
Wow.Got to read that.Sounds like 2021.Weak and docile humans...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

One of the things that struck me about the Wilderness Gathering when we first started to attend was the approach to knives. EVERY adult had at least one knife on their belt - often more, or an axe or machete as well. The kids were using knives under supervision and as long as they had attended the knife safety class first. (Kids were learning to gut rabbits too and all quite happy about it)
Everyone was clear that sharp tools are exactly that TOOLS not weapons and no one was worried at all by all these knife carrying monsters. It was a fantastic event. The hard bit was remembering to remove the blades from neck and belt before driving back into London.
The knife shops now have to advertise on the web as "Tool" suppliers. Same stock, same customers, just jumping through hoops to keep "people" feeling safe.

T'other half teaches at a local college. they installed a knife arch and then had a bit of a learning curve when they realised that all the woodwork/instrument making students and teachers were turning up with a full bag of sharps - plane blades, chisels, scalpels, carving sets and expected to be allowed on campus.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The looks we got a few years back in the supermarket.. little miss had a grandma knitted cardigan on with "fluffy" wool the long waffy strands were good to twirl her fingers in.....

" My finger hurts"

She'd got her finger well and truly stuck in the fluff to the point the end was going blue....

Mum pulls sak out of her pocket few careful cuts and all was well... Apart from the stares of other shoppers :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Knife on my keys (mini multi tool), knife in my coin purse (vintage slip joint) , lock knife in my pocket ( when working, or at home), knife in all of my toolkits, knife in my re-enactment kit and knife on belt (or coat button) when playing in the woods......... I must be a serial killer :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

One funny one was very many years ago on jury service when I spent two weeks throwing my keys in the security tray as I walked through the knife arch. On the very last day I realised that security had not paid any attention to the Leatherman Micra that lives there despite the strict no knife policy which shoud have banned it.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:08 am One funny one was very many years ago on jury service when I spent two weeks throwing my keys in the security tray as I walked through the knife arch. On the very last day I realised that security had not paid any attention to the Leatherman Micra that lives there despite the strict no knife policy which shoud have banned it.
:lol:
When I attended crown court (witness) years back they found my little spiderco UK legal carry on my keys.. G4S was not a happy man.... He was going to call the police.... Funny enough I was with a DI who had given me a lift to court ... He placed his warrant card on the desk . He took the knife off my key ring put it in his pocket and said to G4S man it's sorted :lol: he gave me it back after I was discharged in full view of the g4s man at the "wrong side" of the pods thought the chap as going to have a heart attack
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

My daughters (3 &5) have toy food as most of us I'm sure have used.

They're now being remade in wood instead of plastic as they're more environmentally friendly and generaly last longer.

But the pieces of each fruit, veg, pizza, bread whatever are now fastened with velcro. So when the girls are playing with a toy knife they have to chop, and slice and cut correctly or it wont come apart. Theyre now adept at angling the blade or using the tip or bottom of the blade as appropriate for getting through the joins
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
floojab

Post by floojab »

I got my daughter (5 at the time) a knife and peeler from ikea. Its a great knife for young kids as the rubber grip and finger guard give plenty of reassurance. the tip is blunted but the blade is really sharp which makes for a safer cut.

The peeler is also pretty good too. and at £5 its a bargain

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/smabit-kni ... -40286406/