Anybody making masks?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
diamond lil

Anybody making masks?

Post by diamond lil »

Anybody in here sewing cloth masks for the general public, not the NHS? I'm looking for some.
jansman

Re: Anybody making masks?

Post by jansman »

Jan has said if she can get her sewing machine back from daughter,AND get elastic,she may be able to help.She's checking materials now...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am seriously looking into it, Just finished reading the mask page recently placed up here and I need to make some for my children. I have N99 half face masks for adults as well as cycling masks for normal use but I cannot find any masks for the kids. They use surgical masks at the moment but they would like something better.

I have quite a bit to do at the moment but it's on the to do list
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:17 pm Anybody in here sewing cloth masks for the general public, not the NHS? I'm looking for some.
Message sent!

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ok ta. I tried Etsy but they are expensive and gimmicky - Disney and Burberry material and costing up to over a tenner :shock: I think I'm going to wear them after lockdown for the rest of this year, as I don't think we'll be clear of this virus for a long time.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We will stay in touch

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's one of the things I'm collecting information on. My sister made herself a mask, so I know I have access to a pattern from a personal source, but its in French :shock: and I don't have the sewing vocab. I like the look of the article that cbp referenced, that was posted on here, so I'll be having a look at that.

The title of that website, by the way, sounds very apt right now - "no-one is coming"! Bearing in mind the (worldwide, as well as UK) farce about PPE ... yes, no-one is coming.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am thinking of building a uv decontamination box for my front door. come home and masks gloves etc can go straight in.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

cbp125 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 am I am thinking of building a uv decontamination box for my front door. come home and masks gloves etc can go straight in.
I've made one out of a large plastic tub and lid that I have fitted with two spare UV lights I had for my Aquarium, not put it into use though because so little mail arriving.
redskies

Post by redskies »

This link was sent to me by a member here. It's not bad and plenty of pics so you can see what goes where.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOMEMADE-MEDIC ... _mi_rw_edp

And whatever you make, soak it in a 30% salt solution to add effectiveness. I'd consider multiple layers, and if you can find some 400 count+ Egyptian cotton, that's a nice, densely woven fabric that will stand multiple hot washes :)