Free online book website

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
TLB

Free online book website

Post by TLB »

Evening all.

It suddenly occurred to me that I need to share this website with you:

www.b-ok.org

It was flagged up to me when my Uni library ran out of a book that we needed on the course (they could only hold 20 copies for 170+ students...).

From what I have gleaned, the books are scanned and stored. If the author asks them to be removed they are. However, MODS, if this is against any policy here, please remove the post.

Basically, they have over 4.7 million books to search through and over 76 million articles covering a whole plethora of subjects. Hope it's useful fro someone.
jansman

Re: Free online book website

Post by jansman »

It all appears to be above board. Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Erm, thats astonishing! I just downloaded a hydroponics book, by Howard Resh (Amazon likes him), and a Dorling Kindersley/British Medical Association Illustrated Medical Dictionary. Just those two on their own are very well worth it, thank you TLB.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for the downloads.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
TLB

Post by TLB »

No problem. There is a huge range of books and magazines in here.

I've managed to find over 200 articles while studying during my initial teacher training year and as someone who likes to be self reliant have found a great deal of books.

While I own a fair few and have my own little library in hard copies, I've also got them all stored in electronic format with the means to read, use on devices that I can charge off grid easily.

Hope more people use it!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Well, I for one am downloading 5 books per 24 hour period as a guest. My Kindle is filling up nicely. :mrgreen:

Many thanks again.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am Well, I for one am downloading 5 books per 24 hour period as a guest. My Kindle is filling up nicely. :mrgreen:

Many thanks again.
Ditto :mrgreen: my broadband isn't quite up to the task, but the books are worth coddling it :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:14 pm
pseudonym wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am Well, I for one am downloading 5 books per 24 hour period as a guest. My Kindle is filling up nicely. :mrgreen:

Many thanks again.
Ditto :mrgreen: my broadband isn't quite up to the task, but the books are worth coddling it :mrgreen:
Actually I just joined and now get 10 books per 24hr free. :mrgreen:
TLB

Post by TLB »

I never joined as I've only ever needed the odd book or article, I think the most I got was 4.

Might be worth it though.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You don't know what you've started, TLB! I sort of collect information - maybe I can't use it all, but maybe a neighbour or a family member *can*. It doesn't take up space in my house (which is a very good thing!) so thats fine. Thanks for mentioning it - sorry if we've shocked you :shock: