What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by grenfell »

Chilli seeds being so easy to save I very rarely bother buying any. As a side after picking some peppers last year I flowers appearing again and so left a couple of plants . These are in the house on a south easterly facing window. One plant has a solitary pepper on it about two and a half inches long which is starting to turn red now. The other plant is currrently in bloom so I'm going to leave it to see what happens. Planning on a few more peppers this year as they seem to go down well.
A week or so ago I picked up a couple of fennel bulbs reduced to 7p each and made fennel risotto . I'd forgotten how nice it is so this year fennel is definitely going on the to grow list.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Fennel is very handy stuff, for food, for medicine & for skin care. :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 pm A layer of newspapers top corners damped and stuck to the glass works as secondary glazing..
Just a thought but what about having a space blanket cut to size and some bluetack to fit them. Not exactly spur of the moment but could be an option ???
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 am Fennel is very handy stuff, for food, for medicine & for skin care. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure if it was this forum or another where I mentioned it but I had previously given up growing it as it seemed to be only me who liked it but I'm determined to start again.
I'll have to look up the benefits for skin care . I've a teenage daughter who only gets the odd spot but she may very well be interested .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Also started three trays of micro greens,mixed lettuce and pea shoots.Set out a dozen strawberry plants for an early crop too. Dug out the folding shovel :lol: to put in the motor,as working in Derbyshire as I do,I am likely to see snow at some point.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Her Maj was talking about doing chillies today, her brother has got right into making his own pizzas and wants some buiqhinho chillies for them so she got some seeds. She's going through her seed mountain now to see if she can justify getting some different ones.

Edit to add, I managed to swerve the allotment today. I'm counting that as a win. :D
Ara

Post by Ara »

grenfell wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:08 pm
diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 am Fennel is very handy stuff, for food, for medicine & for skin care. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure if it was this forum or another where I mentioned it but I had previously given up growing it as it seemed to be only me who liked it but I'm determined to start again.
I'll have to look up the benefits for skin care . I've a teenage daughter who only gets the odd spot but she may very well be interested .
I too decided not to grow it any more after a glut last year, Perhaps I'll just plant a few seeds this year as there's only me eats it here. Unfortunately, the frost hit it before it set seed so I will have to see if I have any left over.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Started the big stock up - part one, at least, to take advantage of coupons that can be easily applied online. £9 off a £60 shop takes Saynsbo down to the same level as a cheaper shop (I hope).

I got so fed up of trying to grow fennel here, given the state of my soil and the number of slugs, I ended up buying a plant from a garden centre at the end of the last growing season :oops: I don't want to use a lot, but I want the leaves, not the root. And it's doing well so far, though its *still* not in its final position. Won't be long now.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm lucky in that my neighbour has a large fennel plant in the front garden and they don't use it so I'm welcome to have a few leaves whenever I want but this year I'm going to try growing for the bulbs.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

been a busy few weeks....

ordered more waterbutts! already have 5 but ordered another 4, we live end of terrace so not a lot of space between us and wall, so need narrow 'slim line' water butts, last summer we ran out of water quite early on so want to make sure have more available for garden.

i got myself a label printer, love it - been sorting and labeling kitchen cupboards.

been sorting, taking an inventory of food and things in kitchen cupboards - come to awful conclusion i need to get rid of some cooking things to make space for more food.

ordered 72 bottles of wine in preparation for brexit - nearly sorted out storage for it

planning garden for next year, not a lot of space (or time) so want to maximize volume of crop against time needed, and cost to buy, already have lots of rhubarb, and gooseberry which i do very well with.

doing a shopping list for store cupbaord and household items