Zika virus: Up to four million Zika cases predicted

Medical and Healthcare
Rob B

Re: Zika virus: Up to four million Zika cases predicted

Post by Rob B »

im not a health professional but I am keeping an eye out on the zika outbreak its quite simply frightening and I truly feel sorry for all those infected however it could quite easily crop up in Europe having read the previous posts it does raise a great concern that if it can be transmitted sexually and there are no ways to stop it as yet and due to the fact that our climate could become warmer it wouldn't take that much for mosquito s to breed and live in the uk and possibly spread even more quickly than it is im already assuming that it is in Africa and possibly the northern med countries or am I mistaken ?
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

While its not quite a "children of men" situation, the knock on effect for the populations in these areas hard hit will filter through in the next generation and continue having an effect in the years to come. There is the issue of people putting off pregnancy, so you will get a few years of low birth rates in the oncoming years until a vaccine is made available . You also have the effect of a year or two of the current birth years being unable to work, needing a lot of care and medical help and early death rates. Both these will effect the social and economic landscape in the years ahead. In poorer countries the children are often needed to bring in income but if a parent is having to look after their disabled child, it will have a huge bearing of thier lives. How well are these countires geared up for coping with heavily disabled youngsters and all the issues that go with that? The other point to consider is given how quick the mosquitos breed, there is possibly greater scope for a mutation in the virus. At present people who are infected are either unaware they have it, or they have a couple of days of feeling a little off colour/a bit of rash/ itchy eyes and that's about it. If it was to cause other illnesses, it could be far worse for those with it as well as the pregnancy issues.

Apologies if I sound very non-human in discussing the practical effects. The personal and human tragedy is all too apparent for those families effected. I also have worked with children with disabilities in this county and I know and understand what amazing people they are as are their families, but also how hard it can be to cope and that is in our inclusive and generally supportive society. In some of the countries effected, it is not the same. I am merely looking at the practicalities of this virus and its future effects. I hope that human kind has moved on enough not to allow these children to become abandoned and dumped in orphanages as has been seen in past history or worse if this really becomes an epidemic.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
redskies

Post by redskies »

Given how few people show symptoms, there's no way of telling who is infected and who isn't, short of testing absolutely everyone.

I also don't see any information about how long the virus stays in the body and is transmissable.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

no I get where your coming from and the problem is most of these countries have is they are unsettled have great social and economic issues from what I would call more advanced countries and the economic strain put on these countries from the health systems that they have in place will be immense it would be bad enough if this country was to have a large number of children with severe medical issues so I just cant imagine the strain on these countries medical systems how will they cope? and as you've already said I do hope that they don't become forgotten and lost amongst the throng of humanity just because they need help. it does however put into perspective up to now how lucky in a way our country is I just hope that this horrible infection can be dealt with and that as I've already said those children and people affected will get some real aid.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

digi wrote:i had the snip a long time ago, so i dont think ill get pregnant, but, if mrs digi gets pregnant, she will be all on her own, because of the very first bit of this post :p
I have also had the snip but call it instinct or whatever I think its still worth trying, cant do no harm ;)

All fun aside something in the back of my mind says there is more to this story than we are being told.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

northern bloke,
I know what you mean having read all the posts on zika it seems strange that even americans cdc seemed to have dropped the ball on zika which I find really strange and the who also seemed to have underestimated how massive zika is so im a little curious as to why suddenly its a massive issue and yet ive only fairly recently heard of it which to me seems a little strange and odd even could just be me maybe reading more into something that maybe isn't there but we will see . :?:
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Germany last week, and today, confirmed infection of pregnant woman in Spain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35490524
redskies

Post by redskies »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Germany last week, and today, confirmed infection of pregnant woman in Spain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35490524

I caught mention of a case in ROI yesterday. And there are several in, if I remember right, Switzerland.

Rob B wrote:no I get where your coming from and the problem is most of these countries have is they are unsettled have great social and economic issues from what I would call more advanced countries and the economic strain put on these countries from the health systems that they have in place will be immense it would be bad enough if this country was to have a large number of children with severe medical issues so I just cant imagine the strain on these countries medical systems how will they cope? and as you've already said I do hope that they don't become forgotten and lost amongst the throng of humanity just because they need help. it does however put into perspective up to now how lucky in a way our country is I just hope that this horrible infection can be dealt with and that as I've already said those children and people affected will get some real aid.

There are some truly horrible congenital conditions. And there are parts of this country where they are treble the numbers of most other places. It's a first cousin thing :(
Rob B wrote:I know what you mean having read all the posts on zika it seems strange that even americans cdc seemed to have dropped the ball on zika which I find really strange and the who also seemed to have underestimated how massive zika is so im a little curious as to why suddenly its a massive issue and yet ive only fairly recently heard of it which to me seems a little strange and odd even could just be me maybe reading more into something that maybe isn't there but we will see . :?:
There are two things I'm seeing mentioned. The GM mosquitoes - and whatever the truth of that one, I'd say it's a fair bet that the Oxitech suits are just a wee bit worried just now - and the anti vaxxers are out in force. However, it turns out that TDAP, which is given to American kids as standard, has been given to pregnant women in these countries and there's been virtually no testing whatsoever to see if it's safe to do so.

I dunno. And unless Anonymous & Wikileaks team up together, the one to get the information and the other to release it, I have doubts we'll ever find out the truth of it.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

An interesting bit of info: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 56621.html

My best friend came down with guillain barre syndrome some years ago after fighting off several coughs, colds and general lurgies one after another, back to back. She kept ploughing herself back to work and never gave herself time to recover properly for various reasons. The result was her immune system turned in on itself and began to attack her. She presented like a stoke patient at first due to the paralysis and though only in her 30's ended up on the old folks ward with lots of stroke cases. Fortunately she fought back and touch wood, has never had a relapse. It took a month for her to regain the use of her arm and leg on the side badly effected and that was with intensive therapy and she wasn't back to work for 5 months. Even now her body's internal thermostat is a bit knackered. Imagine this happening in poorer countries with different medical infrastructure. Lets hope it doesn't become a regular side effect of the virus.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

This does seem to spreading rather quickly, I fear for the summer months when the mozzies are even more active. Those poor babies suffering is just tragic.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.