Best water filter?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Catweazle

Re: Best water filter?

Post by Catweazle »

Hoipoloi wrote:As with most filters, if using in sub zero temps and the filter is wet, be sure to sleep with it at night.
Good point - I hadn't thought of that - thanks.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Mine arrived in the post yesterday. Off to Dartmoor next weekend to put it to use. In the meantime, I need to figure out how to use it, without reading the rather tiresome instructions! :D

Looks like I I'll be watching YouTube this evening.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Catweazle wrote:
Hoipoloi wrote:As with most filters, if using in sub zero temps and the filter is wet, be sure to sleep with it at night.
Good point - I hadn't thought of that - thanks.
Carrying in an inside pocket (in a watertight container of some kind) is probably also a good idea
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Very impressed with this so far and I am looking forward to testing it on Dartmoor on Saturday! :D
damunkie

Post by damunkie »

I use a water-to-go bottle for short trips and a sawyer mini for longer trips........both excellant products but if i had to choose one it would be the sawyer for cost and longevity
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

I carry a sawyer mini when out hiking,camping and purification tablets however they are a last ditch thing due to the taste , the sawyer is just plain amazing keep it in a an orange easily identifiable box for easy getting in my bag most of my things are pretty well organised like that but yeah the sawyers just the best.! easy simple and gallons of clean water .
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I like the sawyer mini, won't touch chemical pollutants and also I'm pretty sure won't filter viruses but it's a nice lightweight option and I will quite happily join in recommending it.
It's a bit modern and complicated for me though, I do have one but rarely use it, just keep it for emergencies.
I have one of the remanufatured millbank bags from Browns bushcraft that I like a lot, made to the original MOD specs but without the chemical rot preventative that looks (although I don't think is proven to be) dodgy, little expensive for what it is, but still pretty cheap really.
I use that a lot more often as I'm only ever using it in a fun rather than survival situation, weighs very little, nothing to go wrong if it's looked after properly and as you can buy them new you know it's never been used to filter coolant or something else that's iffy, army mechanics being the inventive souls that they are!
Does require carrying a stove or a method of chemical purification with you as well though, doesn't filter out microscopic nasties, just cleans the water, could even carry one with the sawyer, would make it last a hell of a lot longer before it starts slowing down as it'd be getting very little going through it to filter out.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.