Most likely SHTF situations?

How are you preparing
PreparedKent

Re: Most likely SHTF situations?

Post by PreparedKent »

The rate of environmental degradation could spell SHTF within the next 10 years, quite easily. Failing that, the ISIS invasion pouring into Europe will go bang anytime soon...
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I do believe that in our (my) lifetime, something will hit the fan, i think personally that it will more than likely be food and energy shortages, this will in turn will cause civil unrest. Like most on here my aim is to be more self sufficient, get my debt sorted out and keep my preps up. On a more upcoming thing, i have heard lots about El Nino and the more than likely bad winter that we may have coming, already there have been some crop failures that have not made it to national news. So my preps are at the mo include more logs, and tinned/dried food stores etc.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
MJ2

Post by MJ2 »

To me the most likely events to happen are what we have all witnessed already...The London riots that spread so easily and we were days away from serious SHTF stuff...if it happened again over more serious reasons and more people took part then we have problems.
Then we have Fukashima (please excuse my spelling) due to earthquake activity,plate movement ect add on the recent Bardabunga Volcano in Iceland event and SHTF if things were any stronger or more widespread.
Then theres that comet over Russia a while ago...no one warned us,how many more are out there?
Let alone the lost old soviet nucleur briefcase bombs from the 80`s that went missing.
ISIS wealth and power,Israel`s,NKorea and Irans Nuclear games expanding...And then add in ancient sumerian tablets and we have planet X.
Our knowledge of past events clouded by the wants of the elite that have re-written history and left us with a mass of conspiracies that hold more worth than the made up history we are taught,IMO.
Swine Flu...Ebola...Some nutter in some lab somewhere who is satanic...This world we live in has so many things that could mean SHTF, just look around ya all.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

I'm just old enough to remember the power cuts in the 70's :shock: and will always remember neighbours coming in to cook on our gas stove because they only had electric and eating our meals around an oil lamp.

So short term my preps are always having more than 1 way of heating a meal ( and ourselves) and more than one way of lighting the house. In addition I follow my gran's example of always being able to make a meal from what's in the pantry.

Medium term I'm trying to get rid of any debts.

Longer term I want to be more self sufficient but this would probably mean moving house for enough space.

So what do I prep for? Bad weather, infectious disease outbreaks, power cuts and redundancy I think that will do for now :shock:
Forewarned is forearmed
metatron

Post by metatron »

I prep for unemployment and civil unrest.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

metatron wrote:I prep for unemployment and civil unrest.
Yep, likewise. I dont think we will see a sudden change, just a slow grind down as the real recession hits and things slowly get worse.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slazanger wrote:
metatron wrote:I prep for unemployment and civil unrest.
Yep, likewise. I dont think we will see a sudden change, just a slow grind down as the real recession hits and things slowly get worse.
Well a lot of experts are predicting a crash in Asia, that will bring down global markets. Even if you work for a company that does not trade with Asia, others do and if they start shedding jobs, everyone will spend less in the UK. There is already a global slowdown, plus the huge influx of cheap labour into the EU, unemployment and civil unrest becomes more likely everyday.
SaintJimmy671

Post by SaintJimmy671 »

I'm in agreement with lots of folk here; honestly, I can't see a truly major disaster of any kind hitting in my lifetime, but that's not to say it won't happen.
Personally I prep for economic instability (or even total collapse - it has to happen at some point) or nationwide power outages for any reason. Having said that, someone earlier mentioned war in Europe, and as much as I'm unsure about that, it's a far more realistic expectation now than a few years back.

I'm not fussed if anyone was to think of me as a bit :tinfoil but even if you had 2 years of food stored in case of the zombie apocalypse, it'd still come in extremely handy if you lost your job. After all, it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I find that I don't really need a reason for prepping because it's not important why you do it. The one thing we all have in common is that no matter what happens, we'll all be better off than the average person because - for whatever reason - we prepped.
"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Mark Twain
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Apologies...as this is only my second post am probably spewing out more info than I need to...Not to impress but maybe because it's a tricky subject.

I guess a "situation" can also depend on scale. National, regional, small area or block.

I live in North London, work in West London and the Mrs works in Central London. So I have 2 main areas or situations to possibly deal with mainly because I think London would be higher on the list for a situation to occur. Something happens whilst at work and no transport/taxis/whatever available. I need to get home most likely by foot and collect the Mrs on the way, the evaluate can we get home or not. Next if it is real bad national or regional situation same applies if I'm at work, get to the Mrs first, and try and then evaluate the situation.

I do have a basic-ish GHB at the office and am trying to convince the Mrs to keep a smaller version at her office (off topic - that the thing I think is very hard....it's not easy to store such equipment in modern offices nowadays due to lack of personal storage space - lucky for me I have huge amounts or "private" space/cupboards etc).

As I live and work in London I have thought what would be a shtf situation. I've mainly come up with 2 things. a foreign/local group action to cause harm or a natural issue...eg: banks of the Thames burst and we get flooded, then again anything that can cause social order to break down.

Very sadly I think the biggest issue I/Mrs and I would have to personally deal with would be other people. As soon as social order breaks down it can become every man for himself to a degree very quickly. Witnessing those Black Friday news reports and people fighting over a TV (and not a very good one to boot) makes me shake my head. I've even seen people fighting to get on a bus before now.

I still love London very much ( I moved here 15 years ago from a small/pleasant town in the North). But when you have lots of people compressed into a smaller space social attitudes/ethics/morals change.
Gordon's Alive!?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

FlashPan wrote:Apologies...as this is only my second post am probably spewing out more info than I need to...Not to impress but maybe because it's a tricky subject.

I guess a "situation" can also depend on scale. National, regional, small area or block.

I live in North London, work in West London and the Mrs works in Central London. So I have 2 main areas or situations to possibly deal with mainly because I think London would be higher on the list for a situation to occur. Something happens whilst at work and no transport/taxis/whatever available. I need to get home most likely by foot and collect the Mrs on the way, the evaluate can we get home or not. Next if it is real bad national or regional situation same applies if I'm at work, get to the Mrs first, and try and then evaluate the situation.

I do have a basic-ish GHB at the office and am trying to convince the Mrs to keep a smaller version at her office (off topic - that the thing I think is very hard....it's not easy to store such equipment in modern offices nowadays due to lack of personal storage space - lucky for me I have huge amounts or "private" space/cupboards etc).

As I live and work in London I have thought what would be a shtf situation. I've mainly come up with 2 things. a foreign/local group action to cause harm or a natural issue...eg: banks of the Thames burst and we get flooded, then again anything that can cause social order to break down.

Very sadly I think the biggest issue I/Mrs and I would have to personally deal with would be other people. As soon as social order breaks down it can become every man for himself to a degree very quickly. Witnessing those Black Friday news reports and people fighting over a TV (and not a very good one to boot) makes me shake my head. I've even seen people fighting to get on a bus before now.

I still love London very much ( I moved here 15 years ago from a small/pleasant town in the North). But when you have lots of people compressed into a smaller space social attitudes/ethics/morals change.
Totally agree with this, we see and hear of this all the time. There's no point trying to justify your or their actions, when things go pear shaped people will be a law unto themselves, I'm not a fan of the 'good old bad old days' but I think we're so selfish now that its easy to justify to yourself pretty much any action. You don't need to be in a SHTF scenario to see people behave poorly, even the likes of road rage is part of the general trend to selfishness.

I'm not getting misty eyed about a time I never knew, it is what it is, there are some great advantages to living now,I wouldn't go back in time if I had the chance. Just like in any time there's also a downside and in my view the downside to our time is that we've maybe become too self centred and self indulgent. Just my 2 penneth worth.