Blacksmithing

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Stew1803

Blacksmithing

Post by Stew1803 »

Any one else on here do any forge work?

its one of my greatest interests and regularly make things, from steel camp tripods, spoons, forks, fire pokers, hinges and of course knives and other tools.

I think its an invaluable skill to have personally.
Plymtom

Re: Blacksmithing

Post by Plymtom »

Stew1803 wrote:I think its an invaluable skill to have personally.

Yes so do I, like metal working in general needs to be kept alive.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

My OH does small scale, making tools/chisels for his green woodworking.
Colin KC

Post by Colin KC »

Yup :D
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

its something i am thinking of getting into, i enjoy a spot of welding but have never forged anything. is it pricey to get all the basic gear? or can stuff me made easily enough? and sourced?
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Used to do it for a living, still do it as a "paying hobby".... Hence the handle

Feel free to ask anything

Butterbean: You'll need a hammer, a heatsource, something solid to pound on and some scrap steel.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar