Baby Bag

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
butterbean

Baby Bag

Post by butterbean »

so, as i mentioned on another thread about a year a go i was deciding on a new bag, for those interested i went with the rush 72 in storm grey, and its awesome, i love that bag, only downside is its slightly too large when im taking very little out with me. so have been considering getting the rush 24.

however, we are expecting in December, and ive been told im going to have to have a baby bag, but the more ive looked at what a baby bag is and listened to what the wife tells me im going to need, i dont know if something like the 24 will suit.

has anybody on here had to make a decision on a baby bag, or indeed mixing in say your everyday bag stuff and and baby stuff into a bag that you lug around.

or do people keep things seperate and use 2 bags?
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
IfInDoubt

Re: Baby Bag

Post by IfInDoubt »

A "baby bag" is a bag to carry stuff! It is part of the mothercare et al marketing ploy to make expectant parents think they have to have one to display how much they love their offspring, a Tesco carrier bag will serve exactly the same purpose,

If you have a good bag (and the 5.11s are excellent) then why buy another one (I certainly wouldn't buy one of the overpriced designer baby bags in any case) as for the 72 being too big, you'll be surprised how much stuff babies need

The only flaw will be that your Rush will smell of nappy sacks and wipes for an age
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

yeah i know its a marketing ploy and i know a plastic bag would do, but like i said i want a smaller than the 72 anyway and with the timing of it all i am taking into consideration i will be taking the extra baby stuff which i know i will need,

ive got a list of the stuff i/we reckon i will need in the bag and that along with my basic stuff i think the 72 will be too big for what i want.

so i want something smaller than the 72, nothing like what mothercare sells, just wondered what others used in similar situation, or if indeed they have been in this situation with prepping to have a baby and thinking of the extra gear eg; bags they need
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

" A tesco bag will do"?? Really? Until it gets snagged on something and dumps your paracetamol, nappies, wipes, spare clothes, formula, bottle, sun hat etc. all over the road, of course.

Anyway, we had a baby bag which was effectively a grab bag for the little one - enough clothes, formula, snacks and necessities in there to be picked up as you went out the door on any occasion. Still have it and the eldest is 7, the youngest is 2. It's a specific bag, it's always replenished as we return from whatever outing, and it's a flipping godsend as the one time you really do need to ba able to grab a bag and go, short of the Zombie Apocalypse, is when you're trying to get two fractious kids out of the door while remembering your own wallet, keys, and shopping list, and keeping hold of your sanity.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

so its definitely worth having a baby grab bag then, my thinking was having it in my own bag with my stuff but maybe having there little thing sitting by the door is a good idea.

just need to figure out a way of persuading the wife that the baby needs a paracord bracelet lol
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Two bags - yours and one sling style baby bag, nothing tactical or anything. We have a mother care one (what's wrong with mother care bags?) at the moment but the cat pissed on it so we'll be getting another. It's grey and has a red lining, mostly unisex. That will keep all the baby stuff you could ever need no problem. Then I have a backpack for myself. It's a man-bag with all my extra bits and bobs in as seen in my previous EDC post. This, I reckon, is the best way of doing it because you can carry both easily (even if it's not terribly comfortable) and stuff doesn't get mixed up - your stuff is still in your bag, baby stuff in theirs.

Baby bag just goes wherever baby goes.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

featherstick wrote:" A tesco bag will do"?? Really? Until it gets snagged on something and dumps your paracetamol, nappies, wipes, spare clothes, formula, bottle, sun hat etc. all over the road, of course....

Bags for life FTW
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Bags for life are great and I have lots of them, I've even grown potatoes in them. But for a baby, a compartmentalised rucksack or sling bag is better. Key and phone in one pocket, snacks in the other, spare nappies and wipes in a third, spare bags for dirty nappies in a fourth, formula on the outside pocket, etc. etc. All ready to go at the door.

Take it from me, when you are logisticking two kids on 4 hours sleep a night, as I have been this week, being able to reach around and stuff a pack of raisins into a greedy little hand without even looking at the bag because you know where it all is, is a great boon.