Under £5 hobo cooker kit

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
munchh

Under £5 hobo cooker kit

Post by munchh »

So here is me trying my best to make the most of the wonderfull bootsales round here.

I kept seeing these Ikea utencil drainers, so for £1 i finaly bought one, my wife found our local ASDA selling some odd bits and bobs and came home with the stainless steel tall pot for 50p and away i went.

I have tried it in various ways using some good tent pegs and a normal trangia and another of my chaep pots.

Its really versatile, i also found a swiss gas mask bag for £1, that it all fits in (pics to come).

you could use most things as a heat sorce, sticks, trangia, esbit, gel and you can adjust as you need for height as all of them have a different sweet spot for the flame they make.

Everything including the bag cost under £5.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
SaintJimmy671

Re: Under £5 hobo cooker kit

Post by SaintJimmy671 »

I've got that exact same drainer, and given that it no longer spends its time draining utensils, you have just saved it from a swift exit from the house. I'll be giving this a go! Gread idea; thank you! :D
"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Mark Twain
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

I cut a piece out the side of mine with the dremel to make feeding a twig fire easier, it also makes the adding and removing of a ignited fuel stove (trangia in your case) so much simpler.

Here's mine: http://blackthorn-bushcraft.blogspot.co ... k-set.html

FWIW they also fit nicely in a PLCE webbing water bottle/ utility pouch ;)
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Nice one. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ingenious *and* practical, I like it :)
munchh

Post by munchh »

Mr.Smudge I have done exactly that too, I just didnt have a pic of it last nigh :D

I know that there are far more efficient cook systems, its a bit like the swiss volcano set, I gave one to a friend, then gave him one of my homemade woodgas stoves and he quickly realised which one he liked best, but with all that, these are stainless, they will take a beating and you can use it in so many ways

my point really, i love all the high end lightweight and expecive gear, but you dont need it, I did get caught up in all that but thank goodness, I came out the other end :oops:
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Thats a great kit Smudge, the inside pot is great.
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

so its a bit of a fib, because the fero rod doubles the price of the kit, but there would always be one in my fire kit on my belt, this one is just because i try and put one in every kit so you can just grab it and go.

I always have a j-cloth in my kits as the stop stuff clattering and you can reuse them alot and they are really cheap (£shop).

The meths burner is one of my small can types and it has a perfect burn time for this, the only thing im missing is a bottle of meths/alcohol, i have been saving those robinsons "squashd" bottles so thats what will go in here.
AREA 3
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Is your alky burner based on something like a red-bull can?
Got a link for a How-To?
I've been making the double wall type from full sized coke cans.

My in-kit meths bottle is now a reused Zoflora (I also have a 500ml sigg-clone as a bulk bottle)

I tend to use bits of cotton rag for the same jobs as your j-cloth, they can become char-cloth when they get too mingy.

My kind of kit you got there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar