trip to dartmoor next year

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
coventry.kevin

trip to dartmoor next year

Post by coventry.kevin »

Have you been to dartmoor before ?
can tell me a good place to go am looking for a Place with a forrest that has water near
thank u for ur time by the way am from coventry so can tell me is it hard to get thier on public transport
Briggs 2.0

Re: trip to dartmoor next year

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

If you could expand a little more on what you intend to do in/on Dartmoor then I'm sure the local regulars on the forum can point you in the right direction. You may want to start by looking here: http://www.dartmoor.co.uk

You may notice that the website continually mentions the changeable weather on Dartmoor. If you have never been there and you plan on camping or getting up to the Tors, then you really should be kitted out for extreme wet and cold weather, even in the summer months. Some would say especially in the summer months.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
coventry.kevin

Post by coventry.kevin »

I want to practice bushcraft and practice what I have read and watch on youtube and have a great experience and I always wanted to camp in a forrest
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Ah, in that case perhaps familiarise yourself with Derriford first, it's on the outskirts.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Ah, in that case perhaps familiarise yourself with Derriford first, it's on the outskirts.
Now now LOL!! :lol:
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

Burrator's got plenty of water and is heavily forested. Not sure about the rules regarding camping there though. I'm told there's even a few wild boar living there now after escaping from a local farm.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Ah, in that case perhaps familiarise yourself with Derriford first, it's on the outskirts.
rofl :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, but seriously

Dartmoor is not an environment to try things like bushcrafting for the first time unless you're with someone that knows what they're doing (maybe you've been doing it a while and just want to step up a notch, I dunno). The weather can be extreme and prolonged, and some parts of the moor are miles from the nearest house or road. Make sure someone knows where you're going to be and arrange regular contact (bear in mind mobile signal is at best scanty) so that if you don't make contact Mountain Rescue have at least got something to work on

Have fun, be safe ;)
Knowledge is power
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Coventry Kevin, there's loads of places closer to you to practice bushcrafting skills - look at the tourist websites for your area, and find woodlands, country parks, bushcraft organisations, ramblers, anything like that. Get a few skills under your belt already before you make a journey of that distance, if you're likely to find it difficult.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Okay, my second post was a little harsh but it was meant with good intent to emphasise Dartmoor can be dangerous, no matter what the season.

The comments above about starting somewhere more hospitable are 100% valid. If/when you do come down, I would look for ways to get to Chagford by bus. A short walk from the town will take you to the stone circle at Scor Hill. I never get tired of that place, it really is quite spectacular, if you let your mind wander and wonder who brought the stones there and for what purpose. If you have an OS Map and you follow the stone circles radials out in straight lines like the spokes of a wheel it's amazing what links up with them.

Check out the wild camping places by using www.dartmoor.co.uk and for the sake of sounding like an old record, you must let people know where you are and what time you will be checking in with them.

Most of all, enjoy your bushcraft!
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

I love the atmosphere on Dartmoor, especially when one of those pea-soupers descends within what seems like seconds. A good test of navigational skills.