My new Petzl head torch

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

My new Petzl head torch

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Having had a original petzl tikka for years the elastic in its headband has finally had it so i decided to treat myself to a new one having had several cheap energizer and other cheaper brands.... and they just dont last and always return to the old tired Petzl.... but it was lacking in range been a old basic 3x5mm white led so i wanted petzl quality and more power yet retain the low power light for things like reading and working in things like fuse boxes.....

anyhow search of the internet and i settled on a Petzl Pixa 3 yes it was the most expensive of that range but for the spec it looked good and it didn't disappoint...

theres a nice big chunky knob which opperates the light.. which behaves a bit light a cars headlight... its got three modes which are comparable with Side/ parking light (ideal for reading and fine work,,) Headlight with a close and distant beam (ideal for walking about) and Main beam (for when needing to light up at distance but loosing the close up light)

The added bonuses is the lense rotates back into the headband to protect the lens in transit in doing so it also stops the light from turning on by locking the on off knob......

Rotated to protect the lense

and its ATEX rated = waterproof and safe to use in areas using normal electronic equipment could cause an explosion due to flammable vapors and dust .

Ive not managed to get any good pics of it in the dark.. so heres some promo blurb from Petzl....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVjS-Hzo2s

overall im really impressed with it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Re: My new Petzl head torch

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

few quick pics of the 3 lighting modes with a 2aa standard maglite at maximum focus..

wide spread short range aka in mining terms a stand / pilot light

the mid range light with spread

and spot light / max power

Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Nice review Andy, thanks! I don't have that model but agree that petzls are great
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ive got one of these

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-re ... /2082.html

but its too heavy in my eyes to use with 4x aa batteries over the pixa 3

ok its old and dated but the pixa 3 beats it all round bar perhapse battery life on low power

but ive had it years and it still works :)

Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Mine's a Tactikka XP, really can't complain about the quality at all, I killed off a few of the others and decided to actually pay some money in the end and get something decent.
I do like the boost mode, only works for a short period but when you hit it the thing goes off like a search light.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Does the Pixa 3's range stretch as far as 60-70m on AA? I see their blurb says 60m on boost but what manufacturers say their kit will do and what it actually does often differs. Any chance you could do a quick test for me?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Only had chance to play with it in the garden it comfortably lights 30-40 m not tried it further there's a bit of a lack of dark at the moment (that and they put lights in the local park grr)

Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Nice bit kit, I've got a couple of petzl tikka 2's which like you say are better than any of the other brands out there, may have to look at upgrading now though .....

Any idea of the battery life on each of the settings??
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Only had chance to play with it in the garden it comfortably lights 30-40 m not tried it further there's a bit of a lack of dark at the moment (that and they put lights in the local park grr)
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I've got some energizer ones that are okay for close up stuff but if the Petzl can get out to 40m plus then that's a bonus.

Cheers
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'll try and get some comparison pics one night this week something like a 2d maglite as a comparison OK with you?