Hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
GreyMan123

Hello

Post by GreyMan123 »

:ugeek:
So I’m brand new to this site, I’m probably not new to prepping as I’ve been doing it for years without realising! 🙂
I’ve now got an urge to improve my preparedness, and definitely storage!
So I will probably be looking for storage ideas at first!
Cheers
GreyMan123
jansman

Re: Hello

Post by jansman »

Welcome. What concerns you about the world to be prepping?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GreyMan123

Post by GreyMan123 »

World wise - probably the constant feeling of insecurity of covid and the divide of the people..
How a lot of people reacted (panic buying at the last minute, causing fighting to gather essential items for their family’s)

On a personal local level, job insecurity would have to be my number one reason to prep.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Re Job security, a few here aim for 6 months to a year of wages for cash to cover loss of a job.

I had 3/4 of a year when my Father died, so it was used to cover Funeral expenses and my stress levels were reduced.

Starting off again. Start with a day, then a weeks worth, the a fortnight... it soon adds up.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GreyMan123

Post by GreyMan123 »

Sounds like a good plan, currently rarely use or see cash… everything I do is iPhone iwatch, be useful also to have cash!
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Hi and welcome ☺
Do you live in a city or are you more rural it can make a big difference.
Fill er up jacko...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, GreyMan! Obviously, during the pandemic, cash became less useful, but it can still be essential - emergency taxi fares, emergency food, that sort of thing. I used lots of pound coins at car parks recently. Lots have gone over to using apps, but pound coins are still around on some.

As for stocking up, whether it's because of local panic buying or your own job insecurity, stocking up really helps - as long as you know what you've got, and where it is. As your very first post here says, storage ideas rule!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome Greyman

I found it helpful to think of what comes into the household everyday and what would happen if it was not available.

Electricity, Water, Internet, Gas, Phone are obvious.
Then there is money/wages, medical services/prescriptions, access to supermarkets, GPS, banking services, mobile reception etc.

And the out going - rubbish, waste water, sewage etc.

Some cash is useful. If the electric is out, so is the internet and mobile may be down too at which point no one will be able to accept a phone wallet app or contactless. BUt smaller shops will almost certainly try to run using hurricane lamps and cash.....
GreyMan123

Post by GreyMan123 »

Vitamin c wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:57 am Hi and welcome ☺
Do you live in a city or are you more rural it can make a big difference.
I live in a village, 2 minutes from country side, 10 minutes from a city!
GreyMan123

Post by GreyMan123 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:38 pm Welcome Greyman

I found it helpful to think of what comes into the household everyday and what would happen if it was not available.

Electricity, Water, Internet, Gas, Phone are obvious.
Then there is money/wages, medical services/prescriptions, access to supermarkets, GPS, banking services, mobile reception etc.

And the out going - rubbish, waste water, sewage etc.

Some cash is useful. If the electric is out, so is the internet and mobile may be down too at which point no one will be able to accept a phone wallet app or contactless. BUt smaller shops will almost certainly try to run using hurricane lamps and cash.....
Very true, no power, no internet… no money!!!!! 🤔