Hi All

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
GeraldTheBonzai

Hi All

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

I started prepping about 20 years ago. Got it all wrong - went off down the "I need to be like the SAS" road, bought a load of kit that I never used and it all ended up in the shed...

Parked the whole thing for a long while and forget about it.

In recent years started to revisit it, but more along the lines of "ok, what do I REALLY need..". Practical, rather than "i'm going to live 100% off-grid 50 miles from nowhere". (I live near Brighton..). Currently reviewing all the junk I have - what to keep, what to bin. Do I really need 3 Bergen's etc

Have spent many years working with the military. Know a fair bit about IT, comms, electronics, solar PV etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Hi All

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome

Dont bin anything yet you never know when it'll come in handy :lol:

Big packs make storing and moving crap ;) easy

Looking at the current media panic you need to stock up on loo rolls chocolate toys and unleaded asap :tinfoil

Joking aside alternative power / lighting / heating/ cooking and storage of some food staples really won't go amiss if it goes south

Solar lighting for in the house for as I call it comfort lighting doesn't go a miss especially if you have little bundles of fun who keep leaving the lights on around the house but never turn them off :evil: solar panel on the windowsill and lights in the main traffic areas turn on as dusk falls .. no reason to turn the mains lights on ;). Even if they end up doing rotor cuts you have a safe reliable form of lighting

Likewise a stash of cash for the inevitable emergency purchases
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Gerald, that sounds like you're in a pretty good space right now. I actually agree with Andy about not getting rid of too much too quickly - from a practical perspective, really. What if you got rid of two Bergens, and the one you kept got broke in some way? Or there's the classic prepping phrase, two is one and one is none :)

I'm not a trillion miles from you, as you're near Brighton 8-)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeraldTheBonzai wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:44 pm I started prepping about 20 years ago. Got it all wrong - went off down the "I need to be like the SAS" road, bought a load of kit that I never used and it all ended up in the shed...

Parked the whole thing for a long while and forget about it.
Welcome. An excellent and honest intro.
Fair to say, many of us 'Got it all wrong' at the outset. Which is why this forum is great. So many of us setting off, trying different aspects, whether its bug out bags, beans in the loft, or hunting knives buried in the forest, between us we've tried it all.
And together, we can work out our own more useful and practical preps by sharing ideas
Looking forward to reading your own take. If you need to know how to dehydrate a beetroot, give me a shout. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong