New From Teesside

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Parko11

New From Teesside

Post by Parko11 »

Evening all new to all this starting prepping during the first lockdown nothing major at first but as time has went on i've made a get home bag and looking forward to learning more from this site
Arzosah

Re: New From Teesside

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Parko, welcome to the site, thats a good start - I'm a big fan of Get Home Bags, I think most people on here are :) What's next on your agenda for the prepping?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome Parko! I think the lockdowns have given people more time to think. Then the changes and shortages and fuel supply problems have triggered a "WW2 mindset" to click in. I find i'm thinking more and more like my dad, who drove supply lorries in the war. Good luck with your preps! 😃
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Parko11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:20 pm Evening all new to all this starting prepping during the first lockdown nothing major at first but as time has went on i've made a get home bag and looking forward to learning more from this site
Hi Parko and Welcome.
Any start is a good start.You're already ahead of me if you have a Get Home Bag.... But then I stay home mostly. :)

You'll find lots of hints and tips from a wide range of prepping points of view and we all learn from eachother.
I look forward to reading your own observations. What are you prepping for and how?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Parko11

Post by Parko11 »

my next steps are going to be making sure i have enough food and water for myself and family plus we have had a few power cuts recently so maybe some kind off power outage kit. i see myself as more of a bugging in kinda person
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome! It sounds as if you are already on the right track.
A power cut kit is a great idea. Even better if you can keep it all together in an accessible box that any family member can use in a power cut. If you have already had a few you will know what will cause pain in your house and needs attention. You will also have no trouble from the rest of the family with creating a "power cut box" regardless of their views of preppers.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Morning Parko, Welcome.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Parko11 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:09 pm my next steps are going to be making sure i have enough food and water for myself and family plus we have had a few power cuts recently so maybe some kind off power outage kit. i see myself as more of a bugging in kinda person
Good plan.
I think most of us prep to Bug-in in the first instance and having a reserve of food and essentials certainly helped through the lockdowns and supply disruptions. Also, of course highlighted things we missed.
Power outage kit can be anything from an accessible torch with lots of batteries to your own power station.
Think about cooking facilities too: Camping stove? Barbie? We've probably never experienced a gas outage, but then we'd never experienced a pandemic till now. And gas central heating is usually scuppered without electricity.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A lot of modern gas cookers are also scuppered without electricity these days - and not just to light the thing. A backup solution is definitely a good idea. Hot drinks and food go a long way in a crisis. For me that is a little briefcase cooker for short outages. Longer ones would get the full camping solution with the bigger gaz bottle and if that runs out it is the rocket stove that runs on twigs.