Morning All

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
rancidchipmunk

Morning All

Post by rancidchipmunk »

Morning All,

So I'm based in the midlands, into my middles ages. I've been concerned about "what could happen" for about 10 years. I've been doing small things to prep for a while, little extra food, a breakdown kit in the car (drinks, snack, torch blanket etc) but since the lockdown, I've been looking at how best to gear up more.

I'm trying to learn more to better equip myself and my funds allowing me to try to add a few bits of physical gear to my list as well. I suppose I've joined here to find like-minded people and learn from others with similar concerns. I'm not sure I'm prepping for one type of event but in my head, with the pandemic, weather issues and natural disasters they all kind of lead to a social unrest situation so it's making sure if that did happen I could hunker down with the family and carry on.

Hope this ramble made some sense and look forward to speaking to you all.

RC ;)
jansman

Re: Morning All

Post by jansman »

Welcome. You’ll find plenty of information here. Please don’t go buying equipment without researching it here first. You’ll save a ton of money. Ask everyone here how we know that! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome as jansman says above don't buy anything yet but take a step back and think...

It seems the sole aim of every prepper to have a big bug out bag full of SAS inspired army surplus kit and the Dream of walking out of town into the imagery Forrest and living on berries and rabbits..... Not going to happen the UK is too small and landowners in a shtf will be defending their estate with force . .. .

But a hospital / hotel/ overnight bag is a more realistic need / aim.

That big machete in a bug out bag won't go down well in a hospital but a fist full of loose change will let you use the vending machines for example. A spare phone charger for staying in touch with family / friends and £40 or so stashed for the taxi home when they inevitably send you home at 3am

Clean change of seasonal clothes and a packa Mac will keep you warm / dry whilst stood waiting for the taxi regardless if your in a hotel / hospital / mates living room floor clean clothes are a must if you've had to wade out of your flooded street
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

rancidchipmunk wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:07 am Morning All,

So I'm based in the midlands, into my middles ages. I've been concerned about "what could happen" for about 10 years. I've been doing small things to prep for a while, little extra food, a breakdown kit in the car (drinks, snack, torch blanket etc) but since the lockdown, I've been looking at how best to gear up more.

I'm trying to learn more to better equip myself and my funds allowing me to try to add a few bits of physical gear to my list as well. I suppose I've joined here to find like-minded people and learn from others with similar concerns. I'm not sure I'm prepping for one type of event but in my head, with the pandemic, weather issues and natural disasters they all kind of lead to a social unrest situation so it's making sure if that did happen I could hunker down with the family and carry on.

Hope this ramble made some sense and look forward to speaking to you all.

RC ;)
Hi RC,
Welcome. There's so much info in this one forum. Well worth exploring. But equally, feel free to ask questions or seek advice.
There are so many unknowns that could happen and we each insure against the risks as we see them. Not much 'equipment' is needed if we 'adopt and adapt' and think laterally.

I recommend first deciding your own weighting in the bug-in / bug-out / bug-elsewhere scenarios. Then allocate budget based on that. No point having tents and hunting knives if you are never going to use them
Then, give some thought about immediate family. Ensure they are on board with your thoughts and plans. To everyone else - Keep schtum!
After that, it's just about constantly reviewing and evolving your resilience.... And rotating your stocks.

Please share your own thoughts and insights back to the forum. Let's ramble together :)

Stay safe,
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
rancidchipmunk

Post by rancidchipmunk »

Some Great points in there so thanks guys, Personally Bugging it would be my option unless a total disaster forced us to leave the building. was reading some of the posts about a GHB which had me thinking about what I store in my car so I will start looking into that. partner is on board, kids not so much "it will never happen" type attitude but then I'm sure at that age I would have thought similar so I account for them when I am thinking through stuff.

Equipment is the nice to have side of things currently. I'm more focused on learning the skills I may need (might never use them learning is fun anyway) and getting my fitness up more. I walk miles with the dog every day but think I could be doing better with it.

appreciate the words of advice and I'm sure once I've gone through some more of the posts I will have more questions :D

RC
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum RC - love the name :)

You're right to differentiate gear and skills - the latter are unbelievably important. Gear - yeah, vastly overrated. Of course, some gear can help you secure your home when you do "hunker down" - better quality keys and screws for the window frames, a security bar for a sliding French window, all sorts of things that your insurance company will really like :)

Kit in the car for a GHB is really important - and the other thing thats at least on that level is water - storage, cleanliness, means of using less. Substitute supplies provided by the water company aren't as prompt or as generous as they used to be. Ideas about coping for the longer term are important too, of course, but dealing with the first month or so of a crisis will already put you *so* far forward.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome RC. Sounds like you've made a sensible start. Extra food and water is the first prep. As to gear, the advice given already is good, take your time. I would advise basic stuff, torches and spare batteries. A secondary source of cooking (for most this is a camping stove plus spare fuel). Think about your house and what you already have if the electric/gas/water went off and plan from there. We're all different and our needs vary but there's loads of people here willing and able to advise from the basics to the hi-tech. Happy prepping :)