New member - Derbyshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
hanhan

Re: New member - Derbyshire

Post by hanhan »

rik_uk3 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:46 pm Your poor 'Spatial Awareness' used to be called 'poor sense of direction' which is probably a better label to tag yourself with and one everyone understands.

If you've grown up in a town/city and not been out and about a lot camping/hill walking etc your sense of direction/where am I, will be poor but don't worry about it. One thing I'd suggest is you buy an Ordnance Survey map and a compass and learn to map read, plenty of videos about which will get up and running with the basics. Its worth looking for a local Ramblers Association group and get out with them. The groups attract all ages and they'll get you out on trips plus they are great for sharing things like navigation skills

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking/ ... inder.aspx

Resilience if a good word to use. A lot of 'preppers' think having plenty of food/toilet roll, a camp stove and box of candles is prepping and it is to a minor degree but its your resilience that will get you through the hard times; without real resilience a prepper will fail when it hits the fan regardless how well stocked and equipped they are.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the link. There is a group close by so I'll take a look. It's not just a poor sense of direction there are other things too such as being very clumsy, but on the other hand there other things that I am better at than average, even though physical stuff is a weakness. Having to work so hard at some things means perseverance comes naturally and that has made me pretty resilient, mentally at least.
hanhan

Re: New member - Derbyshire

Post by hanhan »

dizzydays wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:26 am
hanhan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:32 pm
dizzydays wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:18 pm I feel your pain! I have a form of dyslexia that doesn't affect my spelling but oh boy - numbers , directions, spatial things - total nightmare. I once went round a roundabout so many times people were waving :-) And the times I've headed the 'wrong' way up the A6 were a source of much amusement to everyone that knows me. During one frantic phone call to some friends I could hear them sniggering in the background and saying 'she's done it again hasn't she....she's going to end up in Scotland....' :lol:
Satnav doesn't help - I'm sure it's a conspiracy!

DD
:lol: does it happen to be Dyspraxia that you have? I do, that's why I'm so bad. On the one hand it is very annoying, on the other you get hours of laughter :D
hM..Not sure - someone told me it's dyscalculia - I have trouble with numbers, patterns , sequences, directions. I can't do anyone of those questions which are numbers or sometimes shapes and say 'which is the next in the series...'

DD
Dyscalculia is when a person can't understand the concept of numbers. Dyspraxia is difficulties with physical movement, spatial awareness, sense of direction, it tends to come out in things like finding it very difficult to learn: left and right, map reading, going from a 2D to 3D image, balance, coordination, sports, physical sequences, poor working memory, swimming, cycling, driving a car. None of these are impossible to do, they just don't come naturally and take a lot of work over an above what is normal. I can drive an automatic car for example but never was able to learn to ice or roller skate no matter how hard I tried. On the other hand even though these might be areas of difficulty, most Dyspraxic people make up for it in other ways by having areas of strength too. It is also possible to have both Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia at the same time.