New Forest preppy

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Droidy

New Forest preppy

Post by Droidy »

Just found your forum and after getting a load of flack from my neighbours on the Next Door app asking if there were any preppers thought I might try here.

I'm on the west side of the New Forest near Fordingbridge.
Plenty of food running round, water flowing and firewood in abundance.

Anyone local ?

Toolmaker by trade, fixing 50year old jets is the day job, Riding motorbikes for 44years now and still can't get enough.
Cheers
Andy.
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end. U Le Guin
jennyjj01

Re: New Forest preppy

Post by jennyjj01 »

Droidy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:21 am Just found your forum and after getting a load of flack from my neighbours on the Next Door app asking if there were any preppers thought I might try here.

I'm on the west side of the New Forest near Fordingbridge.
Plenty of food running round, water flowing and firewood in abundance.

Anyone local ?

Toolmaker by trade, fixing 50year old jets is the day job, Riding motorbikes for 44years now and still can't get enough.
Cheers
Andy.
Hi Andy and welcome to this forum.
Not local, sorry.
I'd never heard of the NextDoor App, but if it's aimed at local support*, then it's completely in keeping with the prepper ethos. I'll check further.
Preppers on this group tend to be of a Bug-in mentality where we prepare our castles to be resilient and then aspire to stay there, but we also have a few who at least research the idea of bugging out. I'm personally in the bug-in camp.
There's a pretty good discussion of the merits of bugging out here... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17555
Many of us are also inclined to be very discrete about our prepping. A. It gets us derided. B. it puts our resources at risk if TSHTF.

I'm interested in what sort of flack you encountered on that app.

I also commend to you Freegle.com and toogoodtogo.com

Stay safe
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
peejay

Post by peejay »

Welcome aboard.

One of the tenets of prepping is to be wary of who knows about your preps - i.e. if all your neighbours know that you have a "stash" - then if it hits the fan, you know who's going to be turning up on YOUR doorstep to look for the stuff they couldn't be bothered keeping.

For that reason you'll find many preppers are happy share info etc on forums such as this, but much less so to be meeting IRL (in real life).

I have the Next Door app - it tends to be filled with lost cats, asking for recommendations for builders/plumbers etc. or notifications of dodgy people in the vicinity - definitely not a major hang-out for preppers I'd say...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Droidy (is that a Star Wars ref? I'm the resident science fiction fan, I might as well tell you now :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that you got flack - the thing that peejay mentioned can happen, though it doesn't always, you can be just the "useful guy who always has jump leads/ spare batteries" but if you carry on getting flack, you might well tell the tale that you gave up on the fad.

Remember that there are lots of local organisations that fit in to prepping without naming prepperdom: Red Cross, allotment society, Ramblers Association, Mountain Rescue, ham radio, all sorts of things. Good luck with it all :)