New Member - Northumberland

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ForgeCorvus

Re: New Member - Northumberland

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A coarse filter (milbank bag, cheesecloth in a funnel, clean sock or WHY) will keep larger particles out of your 'good' filters, thereby extending their life.

Carbon filters remove chemicals and heavy metals.... How are you planning on dealing with the germs/viruses ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Genesys0 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm Thanks, that was a really useful post. Lots to take in and think about. Can I ask, regarding water filtration - I have purchased a Berkey 5.5 galon carbon water filter, but what other recommendations do you have for water filtration? Do you think its useful to have some other "cruder" method of filtration prior to carbon filtration? Thanks.
Definitely. Your super duper carbon filter could get ruined by just a bit of muck that could have been removed easily by a pair of tights.
K. TSHTF. I have have a couple of water butts on my downspout and I will hopefully have filled my wheelie bins without washing them.....

Step one. Filter through some piece of cloth to get big particles out. Do that whatever! Tights, tshirts, sock?
Then, if time permits, a straw filter or run through a coffee filter pad into a clean container.
Next fallback is is going to be to boil it or use one of my thousands of OASIS water purifying tablets. Killing germs has to be number 1. Don't aspire to just hold those germs back in your expensive filter.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Genesys0

Post by Genesys0 »

Ok fair and good points. I will look into initial filtration further. I have water butt's and chlorine tablets too, but your right can't destroy carbon filters. Thanks for the tips.