New - West Midlands

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Anon e-mouse

New - West Midlands

Post by Anon e-mouse »

Hi everyone.

I'm a dad of 2 and husband to one! I've always been into outdoor stuff since fishing and twitching with my Grandad at a young age. We are city dwellers now but I have a decent knowledge of wild food and foraging and my overall aim is to be self sufficient. I hate the idea of reliance on anything.

Due to this I am slowly building my survival basics. For me these include the usual bug out bag with a decent knife, clothes, boots, wind up radio, torch and batteries etc. I will also be including a basic fishing rig and a springer .22 air rifle for small game hunting.

I do store non perishables but I love being able to hunt, fish and forage. Keeping/building these skills and passing them down to my kids is essential for me.

I'm looking forward to finding like minded people. Its a hidden side of my life as many of my friends are completely reliant on 'the system' and do not understand how fragile that system could be.

e-mouse
Yorkshire Andy

Re: New - West Midlands

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Don't forget the more boring day to day emergencies

Being admitted to hospital.... Hospital bag Clothes PJ's change and cash for the canteen / vending machine / carpark charges.. spare phone charger etc

Or the Bobby banging on your door at 3am saying get out due to big fire / gas leak/ nutter 3 doors up is pouring unleaded all over his house. Or the local river is topping the banks

the local sportshall won't warrant a big knife or .22 and might get you unwanted attention ;)

Sadly the UK been a small island there's not much to bug out to that little secluded wood you know about will probably be known by more people than you think
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Anon e-mouse

Post by Anon e-mouse »

Thanks for the response Andy.
Yes I definately need to concentrate on multiple scenarios. I always have a cash reserve just incase and we have candles and water etc but I need to do more planning around scenarios.

In terms of bugging out - its more bug in but be able to use the surrounding countryside and woodland to provide. Although we are in a city we are no more than 10 minutes bike ride to some great woodland and hundreds of private farms. I plan to build a relationship with a few landowners to trade - control of their pests for permission to forage and hunt.

I guess for me its both preperation and hobby. Closer to nature because I want to AND may need to.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Anon e-mouse

Post by Anon e-mouse »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:33 pm Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Thank you!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, e-mouse :) I'm seconding what Andy's saying about the "everyday" emergencies. Though building relationships with local landowners to take care of pest control is a great idea.
Grw862

Post by Grw862 »

Hi, new here too, I live rural in north Scotland and I'm focusing on prepping at home. The things I'm most concerned about is long term power outage and wildfires. My house is otherwise weather proofed and pretty well protected from flooding. Am definitely here to share and swap knowledge and experience.