New Swansea Member

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
CDT

Re: New Swansea Member

Post by CDT »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:28 pm Welcome to the forum :)

Your partner knows *you*, and if you self identify as a prepper, and you don't do stuff like running off to the woods because of a power cut etc, she'll be much more reconciled to it. Hopefully :D
Haha time will tell. Definitely going to be an uphill battle!
CDT

Post by CDT »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:22 pm It took me a little while to get the now wife on board but it was a very slowly slowly catch the monkey method....

I've always camped everything from wild camping through to luxury camping with mains electricity fridge and heater :lol: so when I moved in my "camping gear" came with ;)

Ok camping = bugging out .... Nah... Alternative cooking stoves , extra sleeping materials to cover a bust boiler... Spare heater and lights cover that along with say a dodgey lighting circuit..

I put a fire blanket up in the kitchen .... She's a qualified chef...... "I've never had a kitchen fire" ... Famous last words within 6 months I was buying a new one having returned from work and she was on the phone to the fire service...... Electric chip pan decided to ignite it's contents whilst she was prepping dinner ... She recognised it over heating as the blue smoke started coming up as she turned it off it ignited took her seconds to smother it ... That gave me free range to increase fire safety in the house got a big compared to the average DIY shop multi foam extinguisher in the kitchen to cover most risks.. plus a big water mist extinguisher in the cupboard under the stairs .. by the front door lives a 2l foam and on the landing a small powder with a 3l foam in the bedroom...

When she was pregnant with little man we lost mains water... And she scrummed in Asda for bottled water. With that I put bottled water and such into stock ;) plus 2 25l barrels I empty and rotate several times a year...

First aid kit .... Well kids ... Injuries or illnesses.... Having stuff to hand usually pays off... We are currently in isolation pending little misses covid results... Calpol kids iboprophen (spl). Cough mixture.. thermometer .. you get the gist

Prepping for the small stuff soon starts covering or getting you well in gear for the bigger things...
Yeah i'm going for the subtle bit at a time approach. The food storage she's aware off, the veg garden she hasn't seen the link yet, lots of powerbanks she doesn't mind. I'm a trained first aider so have a decent bit of first aid gear around the house.

I just look at it that she'll be glad of all the bits should be truly ever need them!!
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

CDT wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:27 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:07 pm As for all terrain cars, I drive an old s max and it happily drives round fields...
I have a Volvo V50 estate, which is super comfy but is really low slung and regularly bottoms out going down bumpy country lanes! I even managed to get beached in a bumpy lane taking a hedgehog to a rescue centre haha
What I've done to my poor old car the garage would be horrified 🤣
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Ara

Post by Ara »

OH has never suspected I am a prepper but at least we didn't run out of tinned tomatoes when lockdown began last year. However, I turned out to be a poor prepper as we nearly ran out of flour as I had to get rid of some due to a mite infestation.
As we live 10 miles from the nearest shops, OH agrees with me that we should keep supplies in, particularly as our neighbours told us they were cut off for 22 days in a severe winter one year. He is also thankful from time to time, like the time he fancied rice pudding with his home grown rhubarb and I produced a tin from the fridge. How come he hadn't seen it?
A veg plot is a good idea particularly at the moment when I have noticed that the supermarket shelves are lacking somewhat.
Be subtle, it will gradually creep in to your OH's mind too.
Happy prepping.
CDT

Post by CDT »

Ara wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:39 am OH has never suspected I am a prepper but at least we didn't run out of tinned tomatoes when lockdown began last year. However, I turned out to be a poor prepper as we nearly ran out of flour as I had to get rid of some due to a mite infestation.
As we live 10 miles from the nearest shops, OH agrees with me that we should keep supplies in, particularly as our neighbours told us they were cut off for 22 days in a severe winter one year. He is also thankful from time to time, like the time he fancied rice pudding with his home grown rhubarb and I produced a tin from the fridge. How come he hadn't seen it?
A veg plot is a good idea particularly at the moment when I have noticed that the supermarket shelves are lacking somewhat.
Be subtle, it will gradually creep in to your OH's mind too.
Happy prepping.
Thanks. Storing food just makes sense in general, shtf situations aside :)