1st timer

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ForgeCorvus

Re: 1st timer

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:18 pm Okay, I'll try again to keep it in my head :mrgreen: I need a mnemonic - red bit is go, thats the opposite of a traffic light. That'll do :mrgreen:

Wonderful article, thanks for linking.
Red points to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.... Who lives at the North Pole.
This is why I love this site :D

Go on to some places to ask which end points North and the next eighteen posts will be nothing but rude or sarcastic....... Not forgetting your PM box will be full of stuff thats worse.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pensden

Post by pensden »

ok I'd like to start by saying I have no idea who ive replied to, i have no idea how this site works I've got a list but can't figure out how to reply so I'm sorry if you get more than one I'm not stalking you honest & more importantly if I haven't replied I'm really really sorry as I seem to have found something else I'm not very good at, here's a thought we need a site for preppers to do their shopping so we can buy more than 10kg at a time & also because it's cheaper,oh & I swear my neighbours are on to me so I'm taking a self imposed break from online shopping & it's only been 7 hrs & I've already got withdrawal symptoms dohhhh
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The catering suppliers are good for bulk purchases. Are you eligible for a Macro card? Alternatively try searching "food service" or caterers supplies and see who is local to you. "Asian" supermarkets are also good bets for bulk rice and beans.
I put a bulk order in last year to Woods foodservice in London. They were great, delivered to the house and still had stuff when the supermarkets did not. BUT I went a bit mad and am having a battle now rotating my supplies so be warned. It helps to have a very clear idea of what you use and how fast.
pensden

Post by pensden »

hi,I have been using amazon, & Chinese shops,had a great neighbour used to go with them to do my bulk shopping when they visited their suppliers but sadly they didn't like UK life and went back to india, I don't drive & macro isn't local & no longer know anyone with a card, actually where I live we have a wealth of different cultures & they buy bulk too so you're right I can speak with them we're on friendly terms & talk about all sorts but I'm very wary of allowing others to know my business & sometimes I let it get in the way but I think they will be ok as they bulk buy too,so great advise thank you,
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pensden wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:45 am hi,I have been using amazon, & Chinese shops,had a great neighbour used to go with them to do my bulk shopping when they visited their suppliers but sadly they didn't like UK life and went back to india, I don't drive & macro isn't local & no longer know anyone with a card, actually where I live we have a wealth of different cultures & they buy bulk too so you're right I can speak with them we're on friendly terms & talk about all sorts but I'm very wary of allowing others to know my business & sometimes I let it get in the way but I think they will be ok as they bulk buy too,so great advise thank you,
Hi, and welcome.
You say you are a bit lost on the site. It can be a bit daunting. I'll send you some links in a while to help you navigate.
Shopping for bulk asian food can be a distinctly regional problem. I live between two towns, one with a large asian community and plenty of big asian supermarkets loaded to the gunnels with rice, herbs, spices and catering sized cans, and then the other similar sized town has ZERO asian supermarkets. So frustrating to have a whole big town with no okra or basmati rice! :) And with no car, I'd be snookered as ASDA/Tesco etc have limited ranges and little jars of herbs. No okra there either :)

Anyhow. To the point: For Asian long term bulk buy foods such as herbs, soya, rice, pulses, dried onions etc try https://www.somayaskitchen.co.uk/
A great range and decent prices and delivery.

Also, for soya, wheat gluten and a few other dried items, look in on Holland and Barratt, for some surprises.
Home Bargain, of course for tinned fish, sachet ready meals and everything storage.
Keep an eye on Tesco for cheap pasta and occasional good offers on pulses.

Though I share your penchant for bulk buying, remember that big tins and big sacks of dried stuff is often LESS value for money compared to the 400g tins that you can get from the regular supermarket. Also, any bag of dried stuff beyond about 2kg is a PITA to actually use or to stock rotate. Tesco and Asda won't blink an eyelid if you buy the odd dozen tins of stuff for home delivery. Aldi won't blink an eyelid if you buy a whole shelf of stuff.

Tried Macro/Booker. Never found them cost effective. It was often cheaper just to buy regular small package stuff from Tesco than to lug home the catering sized tins.

Links to follow
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:25 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:18 pm Okay, I'll try again to keep it in my head :mrgreen: I need a mnemonic - red bit is go, thats the opposite of a traffic light. That'll do :mrgreen:
Red points to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.... Who lives at the North Pole.
This is why I love this site :D

Go on to some places to ask which end points North and the next eighteen posts will be nothing but rude or sarcastic....... Not forgetting your PM box will be full of stuff thats worse.
Isn't that brilliant! Thanks Jenny :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 am Tried Macro/Booker. Never found them cost effective. It was often cheaper just to buy regular small package stuff from Tesco than to lug home the catering sized tins.
Plus, if the electricity's down for any reason, and you open a catering-size tin of, say, butterbeans, you eat a *lot* of the stuff before it goes off, boring your family rigid in the process, or waste it. There's a balance to be found between size of tin and eatability.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You have just reminded me that I need to split the 16 kg of buckwheat flour that has just arrived into manageable portions. 2 kg bags should do the trick. I just dont like trying to decant from the big sack into the flour bin in the kitchen as it is too heavy. The cost saving makes the big buy worth it for the amount we use.
pensden

Post by pensden »

must be something in the air I've just ground some wheat berries for use tomorrow I make it most days,I seal it in 4x mylar bags then layer them in 5gal bucket & take a bag out as & when required i do this for most things ie wheat berry,pasta,pizza base,other flours,sugar,my own pancake,dumpling,
Yorkshire pud mix,all dried beans & rice etc, it's saves on time,can't believe I'm sharing this I so need to get out more,lol
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pensden wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:37 pm ,can't believe I'm sharing this I so need to get out more,lol
We need photo's of the process if you are really to fit in around here :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong