1st timer

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
pensden

1st timer

Post by pensden »

hi, I've finally managed to register and this is my 1st post, I'm from West Yorkshire and i've tried to locate and talk to like-minded people and groups in my area but haven't had any luck so joined several you tube prepers sites and have learnt such a lot from them but they're either u.s or Canadian prepers so not exactly local or relevant, I'm interested in basic survival training or perhaps amature groups ie radio operator,navigation but, for now i'm just really looking forward to hearing from someone who won't think I'm a hoarder or a nut case.
pseudonym

Re: 1st timer

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pensden wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:04 am hi, I've finally managed to register and this is my 1st post, I'm from West Yorkshire and i've tried to locate and talk to like-minded people and groups in my area but haven't had any luck so joined several you tube prepers sites and have learnt such a lot from them but they're either u.s or Canadian prepers so not exactly local or relevant, I'm interested in basic survival training or perhaps amature groups ie radio operator,navigation but, for now i'm just really looking forward to hearing from someone who won't think I'm a hoarder or a nut case.
Hi and welcome to the forum, ya nutter* :) You're in good company here.

It sounds like you have found resources with an inclination towards 'survivalism' more than 'prepping' It's not a bad thing, but just a subtle difference in approach between us Brits, and our American cousins. They have very different risks and resources to ours. Wide open spaces, hurricanes, guns, and hostile neighbours with guns. We are more likely to just need a good stockpile of Tea in case ASDA closes early.

As always, I suggest, do what you feel is right for yourself as there are all sorts of different ways we can prep, from being a townie getting in some beans and loo rolls to being a country dweller seeking out caves to bug out to. Just be realistic in trying to access what are likely and unlikely scenarios to prep for. Prep in ways that cover more than one situation. E.g A full pantry covers pandemics, riots, infrastructure breakdown, power outage, loss of earnings. A full pantry is my way of doing things and I'd last maybe an hour bugging out :)

And top tip.... Keep your prepping discreet. It's amazing how many family, friends and neighbours might descend on you when you have something they need... But of course THEY would have been the first to sneer at you in normal times.

JJ
* No insult intended.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi :tinfoil
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome, you may be a hoarder or a nutcase, not in a position to comment, but no reason why you can't be a prepper too! I suspect there's a few of us could possibily fall into all 3 catagories :lol: Welcome anyway, hope you find the information you need and enjoy the chat.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello pensden, welcome to the forum. Jenny's covered the realities of the UK situation - the only couple of things I'd add is about various interests you may have - a walking group can introduce to local people who are hardy/ fit, and want to get out there. That can show you where to forage, or find small streams, or show you local problem spots. Is there a local apiarist who wants a labourer for a couple of hours once a month? People don't have to label themselves preppers to be skilled at getting by in hard times.

In West Yorkshire, there can be lots of flooding - if I were you, I'd check the Environment Agency flood map when it's bad, find out where the red warnings are - depending on how far from home you work, you might need to travel through bad flooding.
pensden

Post by pensden »

hi,thanks for the info it's appreciated as it relates to UK, what a little country we are no going "off grid" here you're always within ear shot or view of someone & for that reason why i want to learn how to look after & protect myself, prepping is essential but it's not going to protect me my home or its self from others & I'll be joining the dodo's within 12hrs of shtf,I'm literally on my own with this & I'm ashamed to say the compass I brought looks impressive but haven't a clue how to use it,water filters are fab but mines still in its box & as for fishing rods they've a higher iq than me I just want to catch fish, surely I'm not the only one needing training on all this stuff.righ,that's my winge over off for a drink now, hope to chat again.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pensden wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:33 pm hi,thanks for the info it's appreciated as it relates to UK, what a little country we are no going "off grid" here you're always within ear shot or view of someone & for that reason why i want to learn how to look after & protect myself, prepping is essential but it's not going to protect me my home or its self from others & I'll be joining the dodo's within 12hrs of shtf,I'm literally on my own with this & I'm ashamed to say the compass I brought looks impressive but haven't a clue how to use it,water filters are fab but mines still in its box & as for fishing rods they've a higher iq than me I just want to catch fish, surely I'm not the only one needing training on all this stuff.righ,that's my winge over off for a drink now, hope to chat again.
:o)Kudos for knowing your own limitations. I confess that my lifestraw never left its box and my crossbow for killing rabbits is just a boxed up toy. Who am I kidding that I could kill and butcher a bunny, or shoot a marauding neighbour? Protecting a home from neighbours is indeed one aspect.
We are all trying to 'prepare' for the unthinkable in different ways. there is no wrong way and there are no wrong or silly questions. Great thing is we are amongst our peers here and we all have something to offer. even if it's a prompter to address a hard question.
Whinge away Life's stressful enough :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, me too! I've never used my water filter :oops: (I've enough water stored that I could practise with it before I died of thirst, but still ...). I have practised using a compass, but if I didn't know which way was north, I'd have gone in the wrong direction :oops:

Truly, do what you can, learn what you can. And to learn this stuff, check out you tube videos, they're priceless.