New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Mojo_UK

Post by Mojo_UK »

Hi, my name is Joanne and I've been partially prepping since the pandemic started. As things unfold I feel like I need to learn to prep more seriously and think there's no better way to learn etc than speaking to experienced preppers!
Joanne x
Jerseyspud

Re: New Member

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi 👋

What sort of thing are you prepping for? As this can help the direction your preps go in
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum! Yep, as jerseyspud says, tell us which bit of the patchwork of messy in our current situation grabs your attention? There'll be a lot on here whatever it is, we have some really knowledgeable people (and some like me, who know a tiny amount about loads of stuff :mrgreen: ).
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Hi Joanne
Welcome to the forum, Prepping really covers such a huge range of things it helps to have an idea where you want to start. At one end is the "everyday" risks. e.g. "what if the only brand of beans my kid eats is out of stock at the shop - think I'll keep a couple of spare cans". At the other is the end of days stuff where the electricity is out and so is the water, the shops, the hospitals, everything - and it is not coming back anytime soon.
I think most of us here concentrate on the "everyday" risks but maybe have a bigger idea than most about what those risks might be and what we can do about them.
Have fun. There is a lot to learn on here so have a look around.
Mojo_UK

Post by Mojo_UK »

Hi guys,

I've bought camping gear like gas stoves with cartridges, power banks, lamps with power banks, heaters etc for power/gas interruption.
I have a VW 8 seater with an awning so can get away and sleep well. There are 2 of us with 7 small dogs.

Now I'm looking at long life foods. I have a stash of tinned and dried foods for small interruptions but now I'm concerned that with the economy being destroyed etc I need to stock up on foods that will last a long time to either supplement any amount of fresh food we can get but to also provide a full diet if food is not available.

We are both disabled and in no condition to queue for long times or fight for stuff. I want to avoid those situations!

My gut is telling me to get as prepared as possible.
Joanne x
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Joanne, sounds like you're doing really well on the preps focus. I'm sorry to hear you're both disabled - but good that you can support one another. Totally understand not feeling/being able to queue - I had trouble with that myself last year, I'd been relying on supermarket deliveries for years, and they were suddenly taken away.

In relation to what you've listed, there's a few things that you might already have covered, but just not included here:
- water! Both storage and purification. I find the 2 litre supermarket bottles, at 17p a go or thereabouts, are the biggest I can handle. If you live somewhere that's appropriate, could you setup water butts? Dried food is so useful, as you mention, but it's crucial to have the water to use it.
- food. I'm a big advocate of sprouting - it's very quick, you don't need a huge amount of equipment or outside space, you can buy big packs of seed for sprouting on Amazon, several kilos worth, or you can buy ordinary green lentils etc at a supermarket, and soak and sprout them. Nutritionally, they're great.
- security. There's a thread running at the moment with that exact title, there's many others too, and security for your VW too.