I'm a newbie

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Lizz Matthews

I'm a newbie

Post by Lizz Matthews »

Hiya from Sheffield, I'm completely new to all this : :?
Jerseyspud

Re: I'm a newbie

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi and welcome

I don't think anyone is ever completely new to prepping. Most people always have candles in case of a power cut or extra food incase of bad weather.

What are you planning to prep for?
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome..

Start by taking a step back and a deep breath :lol:

Then get a pen and paper and start a list.

What are you going to prepare for.... (Must admit a year ago a pandemic wasn't high on many people's list)

What do you need... (300 loo rolls 50litres of bleach might not be a bad idea :mrgreen: )

How do you plan to deal with an "event"

Take flooding Sheffield has had a few events over the past few years...

Flooding:

Transport plan.... How to get home ... Safe walking route / safe place to stay if you can't get home ... That B&B 10 minutes walk from work add it's number to your phone ... Overnight mini pack. . . Cash to pay for b&b.
Or the travel lodge / hotel booking app... very quick way to book a room
and pay and beat those ringing round to find emergency accommodation ..

Phone charger, change of smalls in your car / desk at work.... Roads flooded ring b&b your good for the night

(Total cost amount hotel / BB charge for the night and those old socks / pants / t-shirt that's about fit for the bin. Probably got a spare phone charger kicking about..

House .... Insurance.... Keep valuables upstairs sand bags know where to shut off utilities....

It doesn't have to cost a fortune ;) or require endless spending on special kit .... No one needs 10 torches.. no I don't I really don't but no not me :mrgreen: :| ;) :P :oops: :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Ah Andy you say it so much better than I do 😂😂
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Andy's wrong..... you need all the things. Bunker first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jks...
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
daylen

Post by daylen »

Welcome Lizz, from a fellow Sheffielder :D

I hope you find the forum useful.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:07 pm Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Andy's wrong..... you need all the things. Bunker first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jks...
Man I would love a bunkers. I'm really not a people person 😂😂

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Lizz! So, Andy was having a flighty moment :mrgreen: after he'd given you an actual way forward - that hopefully sums up our attitude in general, I think - do the prepping, but don't disappear down the rabbit hole.

Have a sit and a think as Andy recommends; if flooding *is* one of the most important for you, you wouldn't believe how helpful the Met Office website is, what to do before, during and after a flood, for instance. Mainstream sites like that are incredibly helpful. Sheffield may have a resilience website too? Here you go https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/socia ... -emergency
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Everyone needs 10 torches and lanterns and lots of candles....

I know I'm not alone 😂

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You're not alone, jerseyspud :lol: