I'm a newbie

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Yorkshire Andy

Re: I'm a newbie

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:45 pm Everyone needs 10 torches and lanterns and lots of candles....

I know I'm not alone 😂

Just popped into the kitchen 15 torches ( granted some are the kids) and a oil hurricane lantern that's before I get to the cupboard under the stairs or the lounge
Screenshot_20210409-220633.png
:oops:

Edit sat in the lounge can immediately put my hand on 3 torches :shock:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

That makes me feel better. I have 8 torches, 5 lanterns, and about 200 tea lights let alone jar candles....

Oh and rather alot of batteries
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Lizz Matthews

Post by Lizz Matthews »

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You'll notice that everyone develops a particular area in which they overprep, looking at Yorkshire's torch collection for instance or my excessive (alledgedly) quantity of tools..... Don't worry, this is normal ;)

Have a look around on here and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Before you buy anything, write a list of Events you need to be prepared for no how unlikely (Zombies or Invasion by aliens from outer-space :lol: ) then rank them by probability and plan accordingly (basically, just the first three on the list will cover most of the others).

For example:
If the Police or a Council worker knocked on your door right now, and told you you had to leave in five minutes for your safety. What would you need to have?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
peejay

Post by peejay »

Welcome to the group. It's a journey that can take you in all sorts of directions, the key is to find the best *starting* (because it WILL change at some point) direction that suits you. Even something as simple as keeping a second of all key items in the cupboard so that you never run out - as soon as you empty/finish it, you open the new and add a replacement to your shopping list.

Above all, don't stress about it! :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi Lizz, and welcome.

I see you already had great advice. A great start is in this very sub-forum
viewforum.php?f=9
Where you have Carrot Cruncher's sticky thread 'Tips for the new prepper'

My version of advice for new preppers is something like this...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17462&p=203097#p203097

Basically, visualise what sorts of scenarios you want to be prepared for, then plan how to get maximum bang for your buck. Some preps are helpful in multiple situations, so prioritise those (E.g a full pantry helps whether you are floodbound, suddenly unemployed or if imports get blocked because of international crisis. And a few torches and tealights will go a long way too :) )

We have members that jokingly obsess about different stoves and torches and then there are squirrels like me that could feed a street. Yet others are ready to run for the hills armed with the best of hunting knives. What I'm suggesting is just to think and plan ahead your own way. Read the signature to my posts for my opinion.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong