Hello, from yorkshire.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Spreader

Hello, from yorkshire.

Post by Spreader »

Hi,
I've just started prepping, and very quickly relised this cant be done easily on my own and would benefit a lot from help and advice from here.

Ive been camping/fishing/ bivving upfor a few weeks at a time. Been doing this all my life.
But admittedly i take everything including the kitchen sink/tv/freeview/dvd player.
Home from home.

I have a bit of gear but its not meant or bought for emergency situations.... Like a sleeping bag which is to heavy to carry efficiently, but so damm warm and comfy And so on.

Ive just made a start and got a few items.
55 litre ruck sack with molle system.
Pcp air rifle
Ferrous rod x2
Cotton wool buds
Metal tin
Backpack water bladder
Sawer water filter
Puryfying tablets
Life straw x2
Pad saw
Wind up radio solar battery torch
Colemans petrol single burner stove
Colemans double burner stove.

Much love
Take care
And watch them roads
Its a jungle out there.
jennyjj01

Re: Hello, from yorkshire.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi Spreader and welcome to the forum. You are no longer alone :)

It seems you have started down a 'bug-out' survivalist route. That's fair enough, but maybe a bit different to the average member here, who look at 'bug-in' prepping first. Even having a kitchen cupboard full of pasta, cooking sauces and tinned meat would count as prepping and you mention none of those things.

All prepping perspectives are valuable contributions to the forum: We have urban apartment dwellers, rural farmers, remote country dwellers and even island dwellers. All their prepping approaches necessarily differ.

So, may I ask what sorts of contingency you are prepping for?

Stay safe :)
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, spreader.

What Jenny said, really ... though you remind me I've yet to buy a lifestraw (I have less easy filtration systems, though still portable) and love the sound of your radio/torch, I have a couple of radios like that, but no torch ability on either of them :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hello and welcomr👋
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Have a look around,ask questions.I guarantee you will save money! It’s not just about gear. Enjoy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Spreader

Post by Spreader »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I dont really know what im prepping for tbh. Maybe total breakdown of society.
I want to be able to feed and water my family for atleast 6 months with no outside assistance (at home).
And also the knowledge to survive outside the home permanently.
Spreader

Post by Spreader »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 am Hi Spreader and welcome to the forum. You are no longer alone :)

It seems you have started down a 'bug-out' survivalist route. That's fair enough, but maybe a bit different to the average member here, who look at 'bug-in' prepping first. Even having a kitchen cupboard full of pasta, cooking sauces and tinned meat would count as prepping and you mention none of those things.

All prepping perspectives are valuable contributions to the forum: We have urban apartment dwellers, rural farmers, remote country dwellers and even island dwellers. All their prepping approaches necessarily differ.

So, may I ask what sorts of contingency you are prepping for?

Stay safe :)
JJ
Hi Jenny,
Just worked out how to reply to each comment lol.
I spent five minutes looking at the little 66 icon then realised it was the quoting option...... What a numpty.

So, i did inadvertently due to the pandemic purchase loads of pasta/rice/powdered eggs/tinned foods etc to stock up on. I didnt plan the bulk buy. No calculation were made on how much will last us.
So basicly panic bought....... Not toilet rolls though😂
May have enough food for a month or so.
Im not storing water yet but will be doing.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Spreader wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm Thanks for the warm welcome.
I dont really know what im prepping for tbh. Maybe total breakdown of society.
I want to be able to feed and water my family for atleast 6 months with no outside assistance (at home).
And also the knowledge to survive outside the home permanently.
I suggest you jot down a few scenarios then order them. Some will be relieved by the same prep, such as a months wages in hand or a month's provisions. Try to be realistic and open minded. Nuclear war, Weather disaster, Internet outage, power outage, Oil shortage, pandemic.... Whatever you can think of. Try to visualise how they might evolve. You won't survive a direct hit by a nuke, etc, so consider something a bit softer, say a hit in the midlands or your nearest big port causing national disruption to food and power. Imagine what would be going on around you. What would give you an edge? It might be as simple as good locks on your doors and a few bits of food and light and heat provision. In other words, pick up some easy wins. Don't aspire to be a refugee. Your home is your castle first and foremost. There are some decent movies that give you possible scenarios. Take a look in the movies section of the forum and watch a few. One scenario was as simple as a long national electricity outage.

I too, prep for societal breakdown, but I expect it to be a little gradual: Maybe some sort of restaurant closure event and some businesses closing and then maybe a few bankruptcies and lost jobs and homes and maybe nationalism and civil unrest and..... oh. heck. That's like now :) Glad amazon Prime still works :)

If you have a family, then they need to be prepared too, in as much as don't assume they are as adaptable as you. E.g. would they eat any kind of survival food without you coming to blows? Would they grumble about expiry dates on tins? Would any of you know what to do with pulses, rice and wheat?

Before you get too engrossed in camping gear, spend a little time on the idea of prepping for bugging in. A family Bugging out for 6 months is a big undertaking, especially in a world that's doing the same. Would you aspire to join a new world community, or go it alone?

Prepping is a state of mind and a way of life. It can actually be zero cost for a lot of the benefits. Max bang for your buck with a little thought.

I'll pop back and edit in a few links. The Lists subforum is pretty full of good stuff. Lot's to read.

Lists viewforum.php?f=17
How Are You Prepping viewforum.php?f=14
What To Do If viewforum.php?f=39
Blackout Docu Drama https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Blackout%27+t ... WrCI0W37zw

Please continue to share your ideas as they evolve. We can all learn from eachothers perspective.

Stay Safe....... Oh yes... and keep your new found prepping status discreet. You'll soon know why.

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong