New Member - London - Looking to network

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ILoveGoreTex

New Member - London - Looking to network

Post by ILoveGoreTex »

Hello everyone!

I'm a 26 year old born and bred Londoner. I am a scientist who works in Artificial Intelligence in counter-crime world.

I've just joined the forum and a book marked a huge list to read.

I guess I'm interested in prepping because the older I get the more I realise how fragile our society is. With our massive reliance on infrastructure for electricity, water, and food. I feel like many people including myself would struggle to survive if we lost our access to things we take for granted even for a short while.

Ethnicity wise I am Bangladeshi and I keep thinking about my trip there 11 years ago. I use to see my uncles fish, hunt, gut, skin, and cook animals whilst making the fires themselves. I saw my aunties make shelter out of dry leaves and pick plants/fruit. I remember seeing my cousin climb trees to get fruit and navigate forest/jungles in the dark whilst showing my what critters were dangerous.

At the time, I thought it was 3rd world savage living. But, now I understand these members of my family knew how to survive without reliance on no one but themselves.

So! I'm excited to be here and learn from all of you. Whilst I don't envision myself becoming a survivalist hopefully I pick and learn some great skills!

I plan to start simple and learn how to fish or do bushcraft so if anyone nearby is down let me know!!
Jerseyspud

Re: New Member - London - Looking to network

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi 👋and welcome
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find the info here useful and we're a friendly lot, so if you have questions, just ask. Someone will be able to help.
ILoveGoreTex

Post by ILoveGoreTex »

Thanks Izzy!
ILoveGoreTex

Post by ILoveGoreTex »

Jerseyspud wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:26 am Hi 👋and welcome
Thanks!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Try BCUK a Bushcraft Forum for local groups to hone your skills, I am not sure there are many areas in London but, in the outlying counties.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome ILGT - wow, those are very different worlds, the one you inhabit and the one you/your parents came from ... good for you for wanting them both :)

As far as skills go, it *can* be a tough call in London. When city farms open up again, you could volunteer at your nearest one? I've seen community allotments (there's one near Olympia, I think, on the way to the Design Museum). There are forest schools too, or there are less than an hour's commute outside London, I'm not too sure about inside ...

But really, the first thing to do is take care of your needs during short-term events: another lockdown (and I'm really, really hoping that doesn't happen), power and/or water out, flood - it can be a good idea to go through the official list here https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/fi ... artnership and then see what else you need/want to add.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ILoveGoreTex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:14 pm At the time, I thought it was 3rd world savage living. But, now I understand these members of my family knew how to survive without reliance on no one but themselves.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
1st World savage living is when Just Eat and Deliveroo go offline causing families to go hungry :)

But seriously. We preppers are not generally survivalists, but what some would see as a disaster, we just shrug off, E.g. Lockdown was no big ordeal. There are so many obvious risks that we should all prep for.

London Prepping will be very different to Rural prepping, so plan for your own anticipated risks. No plan is without value.

Common advice here is to pick off and plan for inconveniences in proportion to their likelihood and potential impact and don't get hung up on what's unlikely or unsurvivable. By the time a London prepper needs to catch his own food, half of London will have already died in the riots.

Stay safe.
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Hello fellow rare Londoner :)

N3 here.