Hello from jersey

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Jerseyspud

Hello from jersey

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi all. Been a prepper on and off for a few years. Height of my families joy was when I'd bought 50 facemask in 2017 for £2.50 just in case and turns out we needed them 😂 looking forward to joining in with prepping
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
itsybitsy

Re: Hello from jersey

Post by itsybitsy »

Hello and welcome to our community. :)
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome!🙂
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Jerseyspud wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:40 pm Hi all. Been a prepper on and off for a few years. Height of my families joy was when I'd bought 50 facemask in 2017 for £2.50 just in case and turns out we needed them 😂 looking forward to joining in with prepping
Outstanding. Proper forward thinking and unapologetic preps :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Sincere welcome, and well done on the masks.
Have you given much thought as to what you are prepping for? Your island location coupled with Brexit might give you some new perspectives for us.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi both thank you for the welcome

In terms of brexit my main concern was and still is really that we are mainly supplied by the UK mainland for our food. Very little is imported from France. Jersey was never part of the EU but there was a trade agreement through the UK.

Mainly I used to prep for the winters and bad weather mainly as if the weather is bad then the boats don't come in. I also made sure that my preps were up to date for covid and these were invaluable as you can imagine when the island went into lockdown the shelves were stripped and we only had one company that you could order online to get home delivery and almost overnight they went to a 2 week waiting time. At the time none of our supermarkets offered online shopping.

Now I am working on having a three month supply of food for me and my 3 children and 2 cats. Mainly because it makes me feel more secure. I am also prepping in case of long term power loss as we are reliant on underground cable from France for our electric so if something goes wrong there we are a bit screwed. And in case covid mutates again into something more nasty.

It's very limiting and expensive to live and prep on the island so I have to have a list and pick up set things each week. But as you can imagine that if people panic buy it isn't a case of waiting for it to be restocked the next take it can take a week or so for it to be restocked!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Jerseyspud (great name :) ). As Jenny said, your location is unuusual on here, maybe unique. Three months supplies sounds very wise in your situation. How about gardening, how are you fixed there?
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Funnily enough me and the kids went to get some of our seeds ready to sow indoors. I have a large garden which is lawn and patio and my dad may kill me if I dig it up after he paid for it to be fixed last year. But we grow out of pots and grow bags on the patio. Usually get a good crop of broad beans and pumpkins and I am planting my herbs in pots to hang off the fence this year.

Eldest and I did a prep run and actually walked to town with rucksacks to say and went to the cheap shops -(pound shops) and did a stock up and walk back just to see how we would manage. The inventories it and are stacking it later on.

It is a very different way of prepping here compared to how I would have back home in the UK as there are no real options to bug out here as the island is 9 miles by 5

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have about island life!