Old member

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Cocotte

Old member

Post by Cocotte »

Apparently I need to reintroduce myself.
I thought I'd be a smart arse and reply to my first introduction message only to find out all of my old posts are gone.
Looking at the date of my account it seems like there was a server swap or wipe back in Jan 2016 when I was in Australia, since I joined at least at some point in 2013.
Originally this was all a bit of an interest, with some key points I've always followed such as prepare for the worst and hope for the best (this year may have changed that last half). Now I've moved out of that flat where I grew salads from hanging 2L bottles on the fire escape, traveled a fair bit with just what I can carry (and most of that was excessive), got myself a wife and house with large garden. Built a chicken coop, got a veggie patch and fruit trees out in a small country town next to a forest,
Lots of things still to do and learn but as for this site, I usually only briefly log on every once in a while just for a quick read. And possibly eye up that clay oven thread thinking "If only I had the time"
jansman

Re: Old member

Post by jansman »

Welcome.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome back, cocotte, I remember your name, for sure :) your present setup sounds brilliant, good for you.

Any particular area you don't feel you're properly set up with?
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Timing for crops going out.
Always seems like just after the frost is too late.
Going to try and get some seedlings started indoors, the acclimatise them a bit before putting them out.
Last batch of carrots came out the size of this text, the same pack gave us 6" ones last year.
Currently I've chucked the chicken guano on the beds, then at the end of winter I'll mix it into the soil a bit more with some wood ash from the boiler to equal out the acidity a bit.
Hopefully making good cider next year. I had a cordial pot but couldn't find a reasonable price fruit press. So I made a cider/wine from that. Bit rough. Tis not a refreshing drink! Most has been cold distilled into apple jack. I just needed to make space and free up some bottles.
I also have to check on the birch wine, see if anymore yeast has settled or if I got it all.

The missus wants mountain heating which is a big investment but savings in the long run.
I'd quite like solar panels but none of that is cheap and I need to find another job here soon. All the part time places I have been working have went under or cut hours and staff.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Hi Cocotte,

Nice to meet you. I was just wondering what is mountain heating?

:D
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Ahastyatom wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am Hi Cocotte,

It's a home heating system that puts large pipes down into the ground to get at the constant 14⁰C temperatures. Then a heat pump system attached to this warms or cools your house depending on your setting.
It's a combo of geothermal and electrical heating with very little input after installation.
Basically no need for us to buy, stack, dry and move in 15-20m³ of wood every year.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ah! A ground source heat pump :) hugely efficient, good for you!
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Cocotte wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm
Ahastyatom wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am Hi Cocotte,

It's a home heating system that puts large pipes down into the ground to get at the constant 14⁰C temperatures. Then a heat pump system attached to this warms or cools your house depending on your setting.
It's a combo of geothermal and electrical heating with very little input after installation.
Basically no need for us to buy, stack, dry and move in 15-20m³ of wood every year.
Ah that makes sense, thanks for explaining. :D
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Since quiet a few are interested in mountain heating, here's 2 videos covering it.

1st is short and simple, an ad from, well they say it every chance they can. Very clear, aimed at a US market
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DP6v0IW1k

2nd is a guy that sounds like a dull ramble but actually has a lot of info covering advantages, the tech and focuses on global examples but focused for Brits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCHYUuEDZ8

There are landscape heating AKA horizontal geothermal for large properties which is quiet cheap to put in, only going down one or two meters, and then there is mountain heating AKA vertical geothermal for smaller properties or are using their land in other ways eg digging or heavy machinery on it, and so takes up a few squared meters but goes down DEEP and requires a specialized boring drill for the pipes, making it pricier.

My wife said last night that the ones she were talking to before gave an estimate of only a few thousand pounds for mountain heating costing roughly 5-6 years worth of wood to have it installed and also greatly adding to the value of the house.
After moving 2m squared of wood in a couple of days ago, and that being the last of the closest stacked to the boiler room window, it is getting more tempting to have it done in summer, probably even have a fireplace put into the living room instead since I do enjoy hunting down free wood given away.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Welcome back to the fold. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.