New member - Greater Manchester - Looking for network.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Rob

New member - Greater Manchester - Looking for network.

Post by Rob »

Hi all,

I have been stalking the forums for a while now, but I have finally decided to introduce myself. My name is Rob, I live in the Greater Manchester area and I like to be prepared for things that might be out of my control. Please note that prepping only started for me once I found myself in situations and it changed my look on things.

Why have I decided to introduce myself?
Honestly, I would like to join a network. I feel that if SHTF I would need to be with or communicating with likeminded people.

How have I prepared myself?

Car - 2x Pair gloves, First aid, Tow rope, Battery pack (jump start and USB), 12v Kettle, 2x Cups, 2x Bowls, travel board games, 2x Compact rain jackets, Rope, Portable toilet (size of a bottle), Toilet roll, Sanitary pads, Bin bags, Multi penknife, Forks, Knifes, Spoons, 8 litres of water, Dried food packs to last 5 days, Full fuel tank always and Sawyer water filter.

Why? Because I was stuck in snow once while going for a drive in the hills, and for 4 hours my wife and I had nothing till the rescue arrived. My car had no grip and could not get back out of the valley we drove in to. The next day I purchased everything I thought I might need if it happened again.

House - Large gas cylinder, Gas BBQ, Large indoor gas hob, Small camping hob, 20 x Gas canisters, 125 Litres of water, Dried food to last 2 people 6 months (more if rationed), Clothing, Boots, Means to defend the house and Firewood.

Why? Because of the uncertainty of Brexit, the pandemic. I used to have 1 month of food and water to cover us if something went wrong, but once I saw China locking down cities, I ramped up the stocks. Note, I purchased everything way before people started panic buying because I could read the signs.

Outgoing (Last resort) – Tent, Bug out bag (contents can be listed if people ask, it’s taken me 4 years to perfect it).

Why? Because I enjoy camping, every time I went I felt like I was missing something and each time I improved my bug out bag. Now when I got camping I feel like I have everything I need and have a comfortable time.

If anyone is interesting in networking and maybe even a meet up in the future, please feel free to drop me a private message. I would like to point out that I wont be giving out my address, I understand that people can find rough locations through IP addresses, but I assure you I am well prepared to protect myself and my family.

Thanks.
Rob
Last edited by Rob on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Re: New member - Greater Manchester - Looking for network.

Post by jansman »

Welcome to uk Preppers
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I edited the post and it disappeared. Apologies. I hope the moderator fixes it.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum.
It seems like you've been doing your homework and have some great preps. Your car preps put me to shame.
I expect you actually have more than you realise, but I suggest a blanket for the car, and some electricity and telephony resiliance. Torches and spare mobiles. Meds?
And how about practice? Have you tried living off your reserves to check for gaps. There's always gaps.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks Jenny,

You are right, I do have more than I realize, in fact you reminded me what I do have.

There is indeed a blanket, also a sleeping mattress for the back seats, of course torches X2. As for meds I have anti diarrhoea tablets, pain killers, anti itch cream, anti septic and water purification tablets. I think I might have little bits I have forgotten about. Just to note all this fits nicely in to 2 storage cubes in the boot.

Rob
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Rob, I hope its positive for you.

Just a note, though: to encourage people to regard you as a safe contact, they have to know you, not just from a single post, but from regular contact online - so, keep on posting :mrgreen:

Loving the sound of storage cubes, by the way. Wellies in the car?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Loving the sound of storage cubes, by the way. Wellies in the car?

The world's worst footwear imo unless it's flooding a decent pair of high leg combat boots are better in 95% of the situations I wear wellies down the allotment if it's wet but hardly any other time .. cold sweaty horrid things :lol:

Best upgrade for a car in the UK I feel is a set of dedicated all season tyres not the m+s ones .. unless you live in the hills or ont Pennines ;) they will drag you along and aid stopping in most situations my car came with light off road continental cross contacts but as you can see the "upgraded" tyres have far more bite :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20201213-222406.png
If your int hills a dedicated winter tyre is better still especially coupled with snow chains

As for the jump pack make sure it's upto the job the Lidl one I got was ment to be good for a 1.8 petrol tried it on the wife's 1.0l super mini and all the smoke escaped from it :evil: upgraded to a much heavier unit but I know it works (we use an identical unit for jump starting BIG industrial diesel forklifts

as for the 12v kettle keep the engine running when in use they flatten the average car battery in minutes 180w ISH kicks the guts out the car battery especially in the cold

This is the outline of my winter car kit for the occupants
Normally it's just me in the car if I'm out of town
Screenshot_20201211-224124.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine