New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: New member

Post by jansman »

Some years ago ( long story short) there was a domestic next door. Resulted in an armed siege. It was January and below zero. We were told we had to leave. My wife said that we couldn’t leave as we had two open fires burning and they couldn’t be left. You don’t argue with Mrs J. Others did leave though. It can happen.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

boomer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:05 pm So, quite a lot of people seem to prepare for a bug out scenario; this isn't something I've really put much thought to. I'm starting out from scratch really, have a great deal to learn and am about to embark prepping my home for potential events, (mainly loss of all mains services, food and water shortages for a duration, security etc.). Is a bug out situation something that the majority contemplate and plan for early on,
Welcome Boomer,

No bug out plans here. Cover contingencies that we know can happen. Loss of salary: forced to lock in: No access to Just Eat, Facebook, Shops. They all set you in good stead for less likely zombie apocalypse.

I'm braced for many things from disruption of domestic services, to a degree of societal breakdown. My home is my safe haven. Lockdown at it's most extreme is a walk in the park, now. I'd be pretty helpless bugging out.... at least at the moment.
Like many, I'll be attending to a few grab bags or hotel/hospital bags, but if they got called into use, I'd be living on my wits.

Develop your own pecking order for what you prep for and work through the life events you want to insure against. We can't prep for everything, so just go for 'bang for your buck' It's great that prepping can have negative financial cost when it's a way of life.

Writing a list gives focus. Here's mine.

Internet/phones/tv major outage... Some system standby redundancy.
Financial security... Ready.
Banks Down, escape/emergency cash to hand... Ready.
Forced to lodge in a hotel.... Use that Financial security spare credit card... Ready
Enforced Lock-in, blockaded in... Food to hand... Ready.
National Food shock/oil shock (Brexit)... Ready.
Essential drugs and 'personal' supplies.... Mostly ready, though short on antibiotics.
Short/ Medium power outage... Ready. (Without electricity, does your gas central heating work?)
Oil Shock... Ready for short term. I have some petrol and diesel stored.
Utilities Out Long Term... Ready ( Heat/Light/cooking supplies ready. Though some practice needed).
Roads/ Vehicles Not Usable... Ready (Unless stuck away from home, in which case, doss down readiness in the car)
Enforced Lock-out. House destroyed... Ready to relocate to extended family, or refugee centre (Though a bug out bag lacking)
Societal breakdown & all the above... Not ready, but a head start.
Medical Emergency... Not ready: Need training and first aid gear.
Lock in 'entertainment'... Ready
Family Attitude: Mental resilience: Contingency plans: Mostly ready: Needs practice.
Divorce... I hope not. lol. Grab bag ready. :shock:
Serious Illness... Might lean on any of the above preps, but some things cannot be prepared for.

Bottom of the list: Bug out. I can rustle up a couple of tarpaulins and a camping stove and a fuelled up car but then we'd be buggered.

Just realising where I've got to over a few years gives me the 'attitude' :idea: to hit the ground running under many circumstances. Best we can hope for.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
boomer

Post by boomer »

Thank you so much for that. The info you've taken the time to write has probably saved me hours of trawling. I'll probably start with the divorce bug out bag. I'll just have to remember to put a bottle of her favourite perfume in it. She'd appreciate the gesture. :D
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

boomer wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 am Thank you so much for that. The info you've taken the time to write has probably saved me hours of trawling. I'll probably start with the divorce bug out bag. I'll just have to remember to put a bottle of her favourite perfume in it. She'd appreciate the gesture. :D
:lol: :lol: mind the bottle's not too heavy in case she throws it at you :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

boomer wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 am Thank you so much for that. The info you've taken the time to write has probably saved me hours of trawling. I'll probably start with the divorce bug out bag. I'll just have to remember to put a bottle of her favourite perfume in it. She'd appreciate the gesture. :D
The divorce comment was only semi tongue in cheek. I've a friend who thought her world was perfect until divorce came out of the blue. Loss of a partner is a similarly dreadful thing to prep for, whatever form that takes. I think all preppers need to maintain situational awareness, which is probably worth a whole forum section.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

You're right jenny, prepping for the unthinkable is necessary, like life insurance so that family is provided for if main bread winner dies, and having a go bag & escape fund if in an abusive relationship.
As someone who works in palliative care having a conversation with your partner regarding your end of life wishes, treatments you may/may not wish in the event of accident/stroke/cardiac arrest etc and ultimately your funeral wishes help greatly should the unimaginable happen, it saves your partner having to second guess your wishes.
Having power of attorney set up too is a sensible prep in case you become incapacitated.
And of course the conversation should be two way.
There we go, cheery Saturday morning topic :D
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 am There we go, cheery Saturday morning topic :D
LOL. I was thinking that too. Still, it's all about attitude. Positive mental attitude.
Facing an uncertain future is the very essence of life.
If we can laugh at the future, it will still kill us, but it won't defeat us.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 am
Nurseandy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 am There we go, cheery Saturday morning topic :D
LOL. I was thinking that too. Still, it's all about attitude. Positive mental attitude.
Facing an uncertain future is the very essence of life.
If we can laugh at the future, it will still kill us, but it won't defeat us.
Bloodied, but unbowed.
Beaten, but unbroken.
Dying, but defiant.
Invictus still.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:28 am
The divorce comment was only semi tongue in cheek. I've a friend who thought her world was perfect until divorce came out of the blue. Loss of a partner is a similarly dreadful thing to prep for, whatever form that takes. I think all preppers need to maintain situational awareness, which is probably worth a whole forum section.
Since August, both my daughters have split/ filed for divorce, and had their worlds’ turned upside down. And ours! It happens.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Salutations everyone.
I just joined this forum a few minutes ago.
IMO that list of potential disasters is lacking a major event.

I haven't poked around here yet so I don't know what members are like in this forum.
So I'm not sure I should voice my grave concerns because people dismiss it immediately and think I am totally bonkers.
What is coming is very, very serious but very few are aware of this.
Everyone is distracted by the COVID hullabaloo and the US elections
Those are distractions
The real McCoy lies elsewhere and no-one n the planet will be left untouched by what is coming
The governments know which is why they act in concert with these lockdowns and later on, with the vaccinations etc

You need to prep for an extended period of several years - maybe 7 to 10 years.
Six months will not cut it.
No-one can survive this period without being in a community of like-minded people

You also need to be a place high up in the mountains, away from populated areas
There are other guidelines I can offer but that's the scenario I present to you for your consideration