How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
diamond lil

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by diamond lil »

Knitting socks, gloves, even hats :mrgreen: Next up is a vest- type thing of fabulous Icelandic wool, great for keeping you warm without bulky sleeves that get in the way.
Also looking at charity shops for warmer clothes now instead of new.
Menu plans - all cooked from scratch. A lot of stuff like chunky soup & bread; sausage & beans with toast or scrambled eggs & cheese with toast . And of course, rice pudding, semolina, and apple cumble with custard. All the old dodges to cut down expensive meat.
Re heating, we'll see how things go and deal with it but we won't freeze, I'm just not doing it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:28 pm Knitting socks, gloves, even hats :mrgreen: Next up is a vest- type thing of fabulous Icelandic wool, great for keeping you warm without bulky sleeves that get in the way.
Also looking at charity shops for warmer clothes now instead of new.
Menu plans - all cooked from scratch. A lot of stuff like chunky soup & bread; sausage & beans with toast or scrambled eggs & cheese with toast . And of course, rice pudding, semolina, and apple cumble with custard. All the old dodges to cut down expensive meat.
Re heating, we'll see how things go and deal with it but we won't freeze, I'm just not doing it.
Sounds like good grub to me!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Here's one I've been pondering: I need a new nightie, my old constant that I bought maybe 12 years ago is literally wearing through. The other one, it's okay for now, but it was my mother's, and it too is pretty old.

So, online they can be £20, very easily - I'm not prepared to wear the cheap £5 things that are literally T shirts that end mid-thigh! I've decided I'm going to use two sarongs I have - they're old, but they've had little wear. They've both got enough material in them for a nightdress - it will mean saving £35 - £40, and I hope to activate my new-to-me sewing machine, though I said that last year too :mrgreen:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't wear anything in bed so can't comment directly but sarongs are a silk type material aren't they and people sleep in silk pyjamas. If you're not using the sarongs then that makes perfect sense to repurpose the material. Funnily enough what with it being a pretty wet week on and off and me taking a break from regular work I've had the sewing machine out and I'm making my daughter a new linen dress.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Mine are cotton :oops:

I have an overflowing drawer full of scarves and shawls of various kinds - plus 3 x 80 litre plastic crates of patchwork and knitting crafts (not all bought, some is gifted, some is inherited). I'm desperate to re-use some of it :lol:

Kudos with the sewing machine and the linen dress! That's admirable. Do you fancy taking photos of the work as you go?
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I made my first ever nightie last year. I just extended the T-shirt pattern I had to a suitable longer length. The Victorian sewing books I have seen just show the Victorian nightie as a variation on a T shape - with gathering or pleating to make the neckline and shoulders narrower than the hemline.
It should be possible to make something like this from your sarongs pretty easily.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:18 pm Mine are cotton :oops:

I have an overflowing drawer full of scarves and shawls of various kinds - plus 3 x 80 litre plastic crates of patchwork and knitting crafts (not all bought, some is gifted, some is inherited). I'm desperate to re-use some of it :lol:

Kudos with the sewing machine and the linen dress! That's admirable. Do you fancy taking photos of the work as you go?
It's basically all together now save for the lining of the bodice but I'll see what i can do later. As it's going to be for re-enactment the visible seams and lace holes will be handsewn which is the longer part.
I would think cotton would be as good as anything for a nightdress. I'll admit I was guessing what sarongs are made of , not a big wearer of them myself :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:32 pm

It's basically all together now save for the lining of the bodice but I'll see what i can do later. As it's going to be for re-enactment the visible seams and lace holes will be handsewn which is the longer part.
I bet it really is the longer part! Even more kudos :mrgreen:
I would think cotton would be as good as anything for a nightdress. I'll admit I was guessing what sarongs are made of , not a big wearer of them myself :D
Would it be wrong if I said I was glad to hear it? :lol:

ETA - as far as the rising prices thing goes, I was pulling a towel out of storage to take on the petsitting gig, and found the Christmas themed serviettes and table runner I was also looking for. I will never, ever use them for their original purpose. OTOH, I've finally run out of wrapping paper, and as I only buy for very close relatives these days, I'm going to use them as recyclable wrapping paper (i.e., "give it me back when you've unwrapped the thingy I bought you"). I'm really pleased - less expenditure, no more waste, more room in my airing cupboard because they'll now be stored in the Christmas crate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 pm
grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:32 pm

I bet it really is the longer part! Even more kudos :mrgreen:
Would it be wrong if I said I was glad to hear it? :lol:

ETA - as far as the rising prices thing goes, I was pulling a towel out of storage to take on the petsitting gig, and found the Christmas themed serviettes and table runner I was also looking for. I will never, ever use them for their original purpose. OTOH, I've finally run out of wrapping paper, and as I only buy for very close relatives these days, I'm going to use them as recyclable wrapping paper (i.e., "give it me back when you've unwrapped the thingy I bought you"). I'm really pleased - less expenditure, no more waste, more room in my airing cupboard because they'll now be stored in the Christmas crate.
Jan said to me today that next Christmas will be a lot more ‘reserved’ financially. Our youngest is struggling,and our eldest’s husband has just jacked his job of 18 years ( loads of money,and bad mental health) .Fortunately he has an HGV license,and will not be without work ,but they will have to make cuts according to reduced income. I have a feeling that may be the case for many households. My lovely wife told them all that sometimes simple is better.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jan's right. Simple is very definitely better. But you only come to see that when you've been through the mill.