How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
Arzosah

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 amWe do take my daughter to and back to work but it's only around five miles and we're frankly happier to do that rather than her using the bus especially late at night.
You're right, there are some things still worth spending money on.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

grenfell wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 am Largely my actions haven't changed much as i've always been frugal
Pretty much where I'm coming from. Most of the time I need to make my money stretch, now it needs to stretch even thinner. Can't go shopping often as live a long way from town so it takes a lot of time and fuel just to get there, which can be good as it means shopping is more purposeful and organised.
Have a log burner and oil central heating. The stove is used, the central heating rarely, I just leave the door open and the warmth from the stove goes through the house, not hot but it takes the chill off most times. I boil a kettle on the stove and use it to cook some thimgs, like veg and heating soup. so keeping electric bill down. Use a rack and dry clothes in front of it when I have to, no tumble drier. Wood is free apart from fuel/maintenance of chain saw.
I knit and sew, so make do and mend. Get used clothes from a couple of people, I go through the bags and take what I want and put the rest to charity shop. As a rule I only need to buy underwear and wellies.
I expect a lot of people are going to have to make do and mend in the days ahead, maybe that's not so bad a thing, creates a lot less waste anyway.

most of the time I need to mke
daylen

Post by daylen »

Our food habits haven't changed massively. We've never been huge takeaway or restaurant type people - with professional cooks and pastry chefs in the house, spending money on food out needs to be very special!

We are buying more bulk products but that's to cover supply chain issues more than price - although price is important.

One benefit I like is that it's normalising being thrifty and making do and mending. A couple of years ago, my patched jeans got laughs. Now I've been asked how to do it :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My youngest lived for a few years in a lodge house on an estate, built in 1881. It had the most fabulous fireplace I've ever seen. One big oven, 2 fireside stands for a kettle and a pot of stew etc, and 2 smaller ovens. All in black metal with pretty tiles up the side. I wish we had that fire now! It was torn out when the estate modernised the lodge :evil: Son could cook his dinner all day, plus bread in one of the wee ovens and then dry his work boots in the plate warmer thingy at the bottom. Using free wood from the estate, thats how to live now.
Meanwhile back in the garbage that is 2021, we are cutting the food bill with menu plans, less meat and more veg, lots of soup, and home baking. I won't skimp on the heating though, being cold and shivering isn't good when you get older. No electric kettles no tumble dryer no takeaways. Two cooked meals a day plus a roll for supper.
hobo

Post by hobo »

+1 for meal plans, Lil!
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Typically shop at Lidl, Heron Foods and Iceland occasional trip to Farm Foods rarely do we go to the main 4.

We enjoy a take away rarely so seldom have one, we've noticed the meter calling for a feeding a bit more regularly and diesel for the car is ridiculous.

Dipping our toes into alternative sources of income, at least we both have job security.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

It’s right about the takeaways, they’re just carp food but the kids like a pizza. Also I don’t really drink so that saves a lot. I don’t dare to look at the leccy too closely as I’d probably cry…. 3 kids and a Mrs who isn’t money savvy.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Mrs K and I have been on a diet since June (lost about 2 stone each so far :D ). We've only go out for a beer once or twice a month, don't drink at home at all apart from a tot of brandy every few days (we used to get through quite a bit of wine/beer, far too much TBH). We've also stopped buying biscuits & cakes & having takeaways. Our shopping bills are lower and we're hardly spending on going out.
ALL our spending goes on a Saino's CC as we get nectar points on it but that means household spending is mixed up with house renovation spending; I need to download the statements and filter them so I know what we're spending though, as future planning needs it.
PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Started a new job in September which halved my commute mileage but with fuel price increases I'm still paying the same (also took a pay cut, for my sanity - typical as prices now rising).
Shopping in charity shops for clothes for new job.
Shopping in Aldi not morrsions saves us on average £20-30 per week.
Less takeaways - one a month (but my OH is the worst for this as he can't/won't cook so if I'm late back/tired/out that's what he reverts to).
Not using tumble dryer at all. We had to invest in new dehumidifiers which also have a drier function. Clothes on airers are dried within 12 hours. Put towels on airers too now.

Been trying the Too Good To Go app but you have to be very quick around here to get a bag. We've had mixed success with content.

As 2 adults are still working from home the main heating (oil) is on during the day. In the evening we light the wood burner so only keep one room warm.

Banking app means I keep a closer eye on money.
korolev

Post by korolev »

PreppingSu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:46 pmAs 2 adults are still working from home the main heating (oil) is on during the day. In the evening we light the wood burner so only keep one room warm.

Banking app means I keep a closer eye on money.
Are you aware that you can claim tax relief for WFH ?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-emplo ... ng-at-home