How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
grenfell

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by grenfell »

izzy_mack wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm
grenfell wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 am Largely my actions haven't changed much as i've always been frugal
Pretty much where I'm coming from. Most of the time I need to make my money stretch, now it needs to stretch even thinner.
Perhaps if we hadn't been so frugal in the first place and we were now applying ourselves to that lifestyle we'd feel as if we were making larger savings than the relatively small efforts we can make now :D Joking of course but just a way to say that if one is already watching the pennies it's harder to watch them that bit harder...
PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

korolev wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:05 pm
PreppingSu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:46 pmAs 2 adults are still working from home the main heating (oil) is on during the day. In the evening we light the wood burner so only keep one room warm.

Banking app means I keep a closer eye on money.

Are you aware that you can claim tax relief for WFH ?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-emplo ... ng-at-home
Yes, thank you. My son has already claimed. Need to chase OH to do his.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:28 pm
izzy_mack wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm
grenfell wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 am Largely my actions haven't changed much as i've always been frugal
Pretty much where I'm coming from. Most of the time I need to make my money stretch, now it needs to stretch even thinner.
Perhaps if we hadn't been so frugal in the first place and we were now applying ourselves to that lifestyle we'd feel as if we were making larger savings than the relatively small efforts we can make now :D Joking of course but just a way to say that if one is already watching the pennies it's harder to watch them that bit harder...
It's true though! I've switched energy supplier maybe 3 times over the last ten years or so, and what it means for the forecasts from websites like moneysupermarket on how much I could save, is that the forecasts are way off (even before the latest weirdness). They say I'll save £500, when I'm only paying £750, things like that.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

I almost let my van insurance auto renew this month, I had a look around and saved £300
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I always buy food that is reduce if I can.

There is a M and S foothill next to Currys where I live. So after going to Currys went to the foothall and picked up some lovely food that last me 3 days all reduced.

Last meal was tonight.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I've always been fairly frugal. I don't eat takeaways, washing is dried on the airer or outside when possible, I run a couple of budget spreadsheets for my two bank accounts so I keep track of what's going in and out. It's going to get harder - petrol prices are obscene, food prices are going up and I'm very worried about when energy prices go up as my next gas bill is already due to be remarkably expensive. I'm not sure where I can economise even more, but I'll definitely have a go!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

As I've mentioned, I only get deliveries, I don't shop in supermarkets at all, and that's been true for years, not just the pandemic. So, while I remember it, here's something to watch for: when you have substitutions, as inevitably happens sometimes, check the per 100g or whatever price, as well as the actual price. I had two substitutions on today's delivery, and from the listing, it looked like they were the same "per 100g" price. But I remembered to look at them as they came out of the box - the sanitiser, I let go, although I could see that the per 100g price was more expensive, it wasn't enough to make a huge difference. But the E45 moisturising lotion, - it was a pound less, but the bottle was only a quarter or so of the giant size I ordered! Daylight robbery, I sent that one back. Refund has arrived.

Bless all efficient delivery drivers :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm the same, been relying on home delivery from Sainsbugs for years. Still getting most things ok here but the prices going steadily up and a lot unavailable.
Supplementing with larger sizes from amazon and when I've got some money I'll do a Costco order.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Clothes, some meat and fruit/veg from jumble sales and the big car boot sale across town. Halved my car insurance by switching to another insurance. If I’m cold I’ll run up and down the stairs. Washing is dried on the line or the airer. Packed lunch for OH and lots of home cooking. Keeping the car maintained so no expensive malfunctions. A policy I have gives members free tickets to events - saved a few hundred pounds in a few months going to cinema and theatre for free. NHS dentist does much cheaper treatment than my old one. Mend clothes rather than replace them. Squirrelling away more savings for a rainy day. Did some overtime over Christmas. Free turkey from hubby’s work! Yay!!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

korolev wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:05 pm
PreppingSu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:46 pmAs 2 adults are still working from home the main heating (oil) is on during the day. In the evening we light the wood burner so only keep one room warm.

Banking app means I keep a closer eye on money.
Are you aware that you can claim tax relief for WFH ?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-emplo ... ng-at-home
Ooooh, thanks - I've just put a claim in. Although due to the nature of my role, I would never actually have an office per se, I would usually be on a customer site three or four days a week; but we do everything on Teams from home now. £6.00 a month is better in my pocket than the taxman!