Furloughed Workers

For all things financial
jansman

Furloughed Workers

Post by jansman »

Just had call from my boss.I sent him an email requesting written confirmation of my employment status.I will receive that within 24 hours.What he told me,I already knew,as I have gone over the HMRC website with a finetooth comb! This:

The portal for employers to claim will not even be open until the end of April - if that! So money will not come in ( potentially) until May.That is going to be savage.

So,if you have been furloughed by your employer,be aware of this and act as appropriately as you are able to.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Re: Furloughed Workers

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:42 pm Just had call from my boss.I sent him an email requesting written confirmation of my employment status.I will receive that within 24 hours.What he told me,I already knew,as I have gone over the HMRC website with a finetooth comb! This:

The portal for employers to claim will not even be open until the end of April - if that! So money will not come in ( potentially) until May.That is going to be savage.

So,if you have been furloughed by your employer,be aware of this and act as appropriately as you are able to.
I am sure the employer is meant to pay you as normal then claim it back via the grant mechanism. He should be paying you as usual...
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:01 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:42 pm Just had call from my boss.I sent him an email requesting written confirmation of my employment status.I will receive that within 24 hours.What he told me,I already knew,as I have gone over the HMRC website with a finetooth comb! This:

I am sure the employer is meant to pay you as normal then claim it back via the grant mechanism. He should be paying you as usual...
No.Most businesses work week to week.Pubs that were shut about a couple of weeks ago; they have taken zero cash.There is nothing to pay them *with*.My own boss is 50% down,has had to ask for a mortgage break on the premises,and British Gas for a break on our £ 3000 a month electricity bill! Neither have been forthcoming. They are working on skeleton staff.The boss has his house on the line too,and he has cancelled anything unnecessary,like Sky tv etc.

Robert Frost.

Me.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Agreed. Employer is to claim it back soon as it's available / up and running.
That is exactly what it says in the documents I received form work upon being furloughed.
OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

Linkie:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-yo ... ion-scheme

Its been devised so that workers can be put on hold until the crisis is over,rather than redundancy.This is the new reality,and its gonna be brutal.

Robert Frost.

Me.
omega man

Post by omega man »

I guess it comes down to company size?... Like I say I have documentation from HR to confirm I'll be paid without interruption (though less 20%). The company have 600+ employees.
OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

omega man wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:32 pm I guess it comes down to company size?... Like I say I have documentation from HR to confirm I'll be paid without interruption (though less 20%). The company have 600+ employees.
OM
Indeed,I suspect that is the case omega man.The company I work for has only 20 employees,half of them part time.Our company is on it's knees,no two ways about it.There is no slack in the system.Like so many others.That's why on Thursday,I have an 'interview ' :lol: for a job in a pork processing factory as a Knife Monkey.I always vowed that after redundancy the first time,that I would always remain in control.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My god. What the hell do these muppets expect people to live on? :shock: :shock: :shock:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:18 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:01 pm

No.Most businesses work week to week.Pubs that were shut about a couple of weeks ago; they have taken zero cash.There is nothing to pay them *with*.My own boss is 50% down,has had to ask for a mortgage break on the premises,and British Gas for a break on our £ 3000 a month electricity bill! Neither have been forthcoming. They are working on skeleton staff.The boss has his house on the line too,and he has cancelled anything unnecessary,like Sky tv etc.
Ah crap, so really, this furloughing is only going to work for larger companies with cash reserves. Great. :evil:

Hope your 'interview' is successful, J.
korolev

Post by korolev »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:51 pm My god. What the hell do these muppets expect people to live on? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Savings of course. Everyone has savings don't they ?

The problem is that most politicians have never had to live "hand to mouth" and have never mixed with people that do. They think that anyone who is poor is poor because they are too lazy to get a better job and earn more money.