Furloughed Workers

For all things financial
diamond lil

Re: Furloughed Workers

Post by diamond lil »

You're right korolev. The old prepper saying is right - your most dangerous enemy is likely to be your own govt. :evil:
Crime will go through the roof.
omega man

Post by omega man »

I'm seeing this with new eyes now, I didn't realise I'd been lucky (working for a larger firm).

Well I really hope you get sorted Jansman! one way or the other.

That said I'll not want to be on 80% for too long myself, as we all live to our means don't we.

OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:51 pm My god. What the hell do these muppets expect people to live on? :shock: :shock: :shock:
There will be a lot of hardship,and not so far up the line.My boss ( as horrible as he is) said that a couple of my colleagues,when laid off,were in tears.Main worry being ,paying the rent.it's a bad situation.Even he was disturbed by it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

omega man wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:30 pm I'm seeing this with new eyes now, I didn't realise I'd been lucky (working for a larger firm).

That said I'll not want to be on 80% for too long myself, as we all live to our means don't we.

OM
Cancel stuff that's not essential to free up income - Sky etc., gym memberships, anything that can be culled, cull.
jansman

Post by jansman »

omega man wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:30 pm I'm seeing this with new eyes now, I didn't realise I'd been lucky (working for a larger firm).

OM
I will be fine.I am a born survivor.I've done so many jobs in the last seven years it's untrue. I really,truly,feel for folks with no resources to fall back on.For the majority,it's the fact that wages are just subsistence level,and there is no surplus.The job I will go to will only just be a decent wage,not what I have become used to though,but it will pay the bills.I fear that many,many people will suffer real hardships in the near future.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Out of my 3 kids, I have 1 who's like you Jansman. One born survivor like his mum :mrgreen: He's off out today with the gun and out tomorrow with the ferrets, going to fill up the freezer.
The daughter doesnt seem to know if her husband is furloughed and doesn't seem to care. The other son is living off his redundancy and buying bits for his bike.. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Aieee ... I'm just catching up on this now ... jansman, I'm glad you have a local option, but yes, there are going to be real hardships :( I hadn't quite understood the effect of that delay.
daylen

Post by daylen »

I'm sorry to hear of anyone going through such tough times. I really hope your company manages to get the money to cover your salary jansman.

At the risk of being shot down here, I think the government are doing a good job. I employ 20+ people and making arrangements for homeworking, allowing staff to reduce hours, change contracts, etc has been utterly crazy busy and mind-blowingly complex. I dread to think what it would be like right now in government, making these plans for the whole country.

Paying 80% of salary for employees and self-employed will save thousands of jobs and companies. It is also true that it may not come quickly enough for some though. I don't think that's the government's fault though.

The government have instructed the banks to make emergency loans available to companies to cover this gap. Of course this is a loan only but may offer some extra support.
peejay

Post by peejay »

People are being dropped like a bad habit at our place, mostly being told today that tomorrow is their last day. I'm working on the basis that I'm likely in the same boat, though no "notice" (for what it'd be worth) nor any sniff of the promised contract-renewal as yet.

On the potentially positive side at a (tele)meeting today it was dawning on them how much is yet to be done on this project, and can actually continue to be done remotely for at least another month (basically leaving themselves in a position where they might actually be able to USE the IT infrastructure they've just spent around £2mil on deploying).

I don't envy the senior PM on the project - He's been unusually quiet the last couple of days & I suspect he's been given whatever (if any) budget is left & he's having to choose where best to spend it. Luckily he seems to respect my skills/opinion so I stand a good chance of being near the top of the list but who knows...

Oh well I guess this time tomorrow I'll know what my position is at least!
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 pm Linkie:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-yo ... ion-scheme

Its been devised so that workers can be put on hold until the crisis is over,rather than redundancy.This is the new reality,and its gonna be brutal.
Yes, that’s my understanding as well. We are putting folk on furlough from 1 Apr. The company will pay them £2.5k/month and claim back rom HMRC. Employee will pay tax and NI on the £2.5k.