Living without money

For all things financial
jansman

Living without money

Post by jansman »

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/survival ... -collapse/

The above is an interesting read, with some interesting links. I don’t condemn or condone any of it, and it is American. However, given that the signs are pointing to another global recession, it’s food for thought.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Re: Living without money

Post by Arzosah »

That's an amazing article. No rants! Yay! I like the analysis, I particularly like the steps we ourselves can take listed at the end. Amazing.

Adding my twopennorth: one of the subjects in my general arts degree ( :oops: :oops: :oops: so useful in preparing me for life!) was social anthropology, and one of the key texts was The Gift, by Marcel Mauss, a sociologist. A French sociologist ... but I remember it as being useful in any case. Various types/editions available on Amazon. And one of the societies I studied in a fair amount of depth for those days was the Kwakiutl, who lived in British Columbia, and had a gift economy that worked, for a long time. They're where the American word "potlatch" comes from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwakwaka%27wakw
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I can vouch for that, if anyone want's a real world account of how to live without money (in the UK) Mark Boyle's book is definitely worth a read, factual and honest.

"The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living"

His follow up book was also quite good.

"Drinking Molotov cocktails with Gandhi"
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
daylen

Post by daylen »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 am I can vouch for that, if anyone want's a real world account of how to live without money (in the UK) Mark Boyle's book is definitely worth a read, factual and honest.

"The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living"

His follow up book was also quite good.

"Drinking Molotov cocktails with Gandhi"
I like Mark Boyle's books too. Don't forget 'The Moneyless Manifesto' which details his thinking behind his moneyless year.

A localised gift economy sounds crazy at first but I find his arguments compelling.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Moneyless living can work very well if you already live around people who barter/give/swap stuff. Quite frugal myself, I pride myself on my jumble sale/car boot sale/ free cycle lifestyle. One of my favourites is about a teaching assistant who lived for a year on a pound a day, minus house bills. Very good reading and very doable methods.