Home insurance

For all things financial
jansman

Re: Home insurance

Post by jansman »

In that vein,I have to sort our electricity!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Re: Home insurance

Post by Arzosah »

Switching is underestimated. The big firms talk about "loyalty", which is a positive value, I think there's a bit of a guilting thing going on there nowadays. Their loyalty is to their shareholders, after all, not to us.

I looked up some figures on insurance payouts https://www.telegraph.co.uk/insurance/c ... -and-home/
and frankly, I don't know if I believe them, because they're very high. I use insurance, of course. I have home and contents insurance, I currently have an annual travel insurance, and when I was self employed I had a public and professional liability insurance. But I don't trust insurers as far as I could throw them. Yes, there's the PPI scandal, and the other thing that I think will eventually escalate to the same thing is funeral plans for the over 50s. If you watch a daytime tv programme (I promise, when I sit down with a cuppa, or my lunch - I watch something recorded and flash forward through the adverts :lol: ) it feels like 50% of the adverts are for funeral insurance. It's bound to come to grief, excuse the pun.

Two other experiences of the home and contents insurances: having clients in my home, only allowed in one room and accompanied at all times, increased my insurance premium by over £100. And people who've got convictions ... aiee, if they can get cover at all, they pay maybe 400% over what they would have paid previously, and even to get that, they need to go through a very few brokerage firms, who *still* make people jump through hoops.