Silver content of British Silver Coins

For all things financial
Winklebury

Re: Silver content of British Silver Coins

Post by Winklebury »

Hello

The percentage is the silver quality, e.g. 92.5% or .925 (over 1,000)

as the coin is about 2.8 grams, multiplied by 0.925 that makes 2.59 grams of pure silver.

As 31.1 grams (of anything) is a troy ounce, 2.59 / 31.1 = 0.08328 troy ounces, not 0.8
Exwind

Re: Silver content of British Silver Coins

Post by Exwind »

Dont forget swiss coins...the often overlooked little beauties of the numismatic world...unfortunately i have no books at present so dont have my list of what and how much however a quick googlefu finds this

Prior to 1968 all Swiss coins from the half franc upward contained either 83.5% silver or 90% silver. The single exception is the 5 Franc coin which was minted in silver again in 1969 (after being minted in copper nickel in 1968). Starting in 1991 a series of crown sized commemorative 20 franc coins were minted for collectors which contain just over half an ounce of silver. All silver coins shown in this calculator were minted at the Bern Mint in Switzerland and show the B mintmark

I've been buying kilo+ lots of foreign coins mainly from car boots for quite a while now and always find at least a few overlooked swiss