PTT. Simples...

easy rider

Re: PTT. Simples...

Post by easy rider »

Baofeng is the way to go without doubt.
In my opinion uv5 is the daddy maybe due to its wide ability and freq width that can be expanded, programmed with pmr too in channel mode. AA battery cases ,battery eliminators ,upgrade antennas, shoulder mics Mic extension cables use it as a portable ,base, mobile with suitable extras potentially and cost to purchase .
The 8 watt version is brilliant and compared to the 4/5 watt the little extra does help make that extra stretch of that distant contact. That said battery drain is a problem however using AA battery cases with a buck board dc dc voltage reducer and a 18650 x4 battery case ,8.4 v .2 in series 2 in parallel will give You twice the battery life.
Theirs so many options .
Other cheaper options are the 888 s cheap basic but reliable radio again program on pmr a good radio for local coms.
Theirs several others to choose from in fact too many to list but tri band is worth a look, tri power a option, the latest incarnation the bf h6 and T 99 models boasting 10 watts. guy on our network just received few of each and were field testing now and yes their a powerhouse .

I have several uv5 mostly 8 watt versions and literally just ordered a couple more uv5 platform radios with tri band .We have a dai!y net on various bands and frequencies and often duplex between to confuse others monitoring .

Well what ever you choose make it suit your needs .
Google baofeng mods, baofeng 12 v mods, counterpoise baofeng so on for further improve!nets .keep it simple n solid.
korolev

Post by korolev »

easy rider wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:09 pm Baofeng is the way to go without doubt.
In my opinion uv5 is the daddy maybe due to its wide ability and freq width that can be expanded, programmed with pmr too in channel mode. AA battery cases ,battery eliminators ,upgrade antennas, shoulder mics Mic extension cables use it as a portable ,base, mobile with suitable extras potentially and cost to purchase .
The 8 watt version is brilliant and compared to the 4/5 watt the little extra does help make that extra stretch of that distant contact. That said battery drain is a problem however using AA battery cases with a buck board dc dc voltage reducer and a 18650 x4 battery case ,8.4 v .2 in series 2 in parallel will give You twice the battery life.
Theirs so many options .
Other cheaper options are the 888 s cheap basic but reliable radio again program on pmr a good radio for local coms.
Theirs several others to choose from in fact too many to list but tri band is worth a look, tri power a option, the latest incarnation the bf h6 and T 99 models boasting 10 watts. guy on our network just received few of each and were field testing now and yes their a powerhouse .

I have several uv5 mostly 8 watt versions and literally just ordered a couple more uv5 platform radios with tri band .We have a dai!y net on various bands and frequencies and often duplex between to confuse others monitoring .

Well what ever you choose make it suit your needs .
Google baofeng mods, baofeng 12 v mods, counterpoise baofeng so on for further improve!nets .keep it simple n solid.
Agreed, BUT....
Not yet.
Keep it simple to start and upgrade when you need to.

I have a pal who asked me about buying a DSLR camera, my first question was "what do you need it to do that your current camera doesn't ?" He didn't know, just thought bigger/expensive was better. Same goes for pretty much everything IMO, upgrade when you need to (unless you're swimming in cash).
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Yup keep it simple and basic to work yet cover your needs. I'm sure many have the baofeng radios ,some I imagine remain boxed but my advice is buy now search for a good deal.
A 8 watt uv5 from China duel band were 22£ weeks back now £27 .
The last few days saw uv5 prices rise a pound and their not cheaper even from China presently.

I was buying tri power for 16£ once hence why last night I added 2 new tri band versions for 39.99£ a pair. I would have bought 8 watt tri band but their not a valuable in uv5 my preferred choice .

Hf radio gear as well as other radio equipment is going up , legends like the yaesu 450d ceased production because shortages in quality parts.

The uv5 is a cracker ,for those who want to use pmr in freq mode go into settings and set freq steps to 12.5 .then once you manually input one pmr freq you will be on freq to most more channels.excepting couple by togling up and down buttons from 446.093.75.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

easy rider wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:18 am The uv5 is a cracker ,for those who want to use pmr in freq mode go into settings and set freq steps to 12.5 .then once you manually input one pmr freq you will be on freq to most more channels.excepting couple by togling up and down buttons from 446.093.75.
Cheers. Second Baofeng ordered. UV5RTP Already have a UV82
Because of an error, I have programming leads for both models. If they work well on PMR channels, I'll be overjoyed.

I know..... Not PMR legal in this country.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Nothing wrong with the 82 .duel ptt can be a pain or fail on early version and has a good audio. coupled with a slightly upgraded speaker for better audio and on most 82 variants a slightly larger antenna improved over uv5.
The single most effective thing you can do with the baofeng ht like 5&82 is to understand and make/fit a rat tail wire or counterpoise .
plenty YouTube vids a good one by smokingape explained and tuition in making one. Theirs several types from single duel band to tri wire for tri band and fan types.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

easy rider wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm Nothing wrong with the 82 .duel ptt can be a pain or fail on early version and has a good audio. coupled with a slightly upgraded speaker for better audio and on most 82 variants a slightly larger antenna improved over uv5.
The single most effective thing you can do with the baofeng ht like 5&82 is to understand and make/fit a rat tail wire or counterpoise .
plenty YouTube vids a good one by smokingape explained and tuition in making one. Theirs several types from single duel band to tri wire for tri band and fan types.
I think you just said something about investing in a better antenna? :D :roll: :geek: :geek: Time to google.

As recommended: This youtube channel seems to be handy for Baofeng owners https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSmokinApe

I'm not yet hooked on the whole radio ham thing, as these radios are yet to find a true purpose. I might invest a few tens of pounds to get some roof or eaves mounted Aerial, just to see how far it will reach.
Will up in the loft be good, or on the woodwork near the guttering?
I have in mind home to home with a like minded friend, about 2 miles away.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Hold fire on antennas . The uv5 has undergone changed in firmware I imagine. it is possible from what I know that adding a big better antenna may just not work better or at all. For now what ever you do don't use chirp .keep your radio factory spec for now. Chirp isn't always compatible with the more recent version and is known to cause issues of loss in receive.
for now keep it stock
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

easy rider wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:31 pm Hold fire on antennas . The uv5 has undergone changed in firmware I imagine. it is possible from what I know that adding a big better antenna may just not work better or at all. For now what ever you do don't use chirp .keep your radio factory spec for now. Chirp isn't always compatible with the more recent version and is known to cause issues of loss in receive.
for now keep it stock
Phew. Thanks for that. The UVR5TP literally just arrived and I was about to program it with chirp.

There is a 'factory reset' feature, isn't there? Wouldn't that undo any chirp problems?

easy rider

Post by easy rider »

I'm not into programming so I can't say I'd guess yes it can be done . We noted a issue with several new versions, changes made for American market, none genuine baofeng as yet were unsure.
until we have done more tests and the guru we have had worked around the issue we refrain from chirp.
Will try to put up link I buy .
easy rider

Post by easy rider »