Essex Ham Radio Free Learning Course

cbp125

Re: Essex Ham Radio Free Learning Course

Post by cbp125 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:16 pm
cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:15 pm Well never read a book on the subject (I've got the slightly bout of date one on eBay for £5 )

Not bad for a 1st attempt did electronics at A-level so suppose that helps matters
You could pass the advanced exam with that type of background!

The exams are also worded in such a way that if you are able to read the insinuations in the questions you can quite easily guess the answers.

Sussed that very quickly but are designed to catch you out things like UK power 110ac 230dc 50hz and 60hz same as most of these tests like the driving theory test ..

Been having a pole about can't quiet reach the Scunthorpe repeater need to try a few others
.. then again the beaufeng would probably benefit from a better antenna
Try a tactical antenna from ebay or amazon, they are very powerful. I thought they were a gimic until a friend got one, it can easily hit 30-40 miles on good terrain.

When I was decorating recently I took my radio's down and left my UV5R connected to my large roof mounted antenna. I could easily cover over 100+ miles.

Have you scanned the simplex frequencies near you?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:25 pm
cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

You could pass the advanced exam with that type of background!

The exams are also worded in such a way that if you are able to read the insinuations in the questions you can quite easily guess the answers.

Sussed that very quickly but are designed to catch you out things like UK power 110ac 230dc 50hz and 60hz same as most of these tests like the driving theory test ..

Been having a pole about can't quiet reach the Scunthorpe repeater need to try a few others
Try a tactical antenna from ebay or amazon, they are very powerful. I thought they were a gimic until a friend got one, it can easily hit 30-40 miles on good terrain.

When I was decorating recently I took my radio's down and left my UV5R connected to my large roof mounted antenna. I could easily cover over 100+ miles.

I've not scanned anything yet( I've been very careful not to transmit and the programming lead is at my parents
they aren't the nicest things to program by keys) I will have to visit at some time in the week as they need shopping / dad's petrol lawnmower has died so need to do a a social distancing visit or his grass will need a scythe

Will look into one thanks

Just registered my interest on the Essex site will see if the 19th April is available to start..

I'm back at work Wednesday but the Mrs is furloughed so I can get time to myself to do the online bits got a old laptop with a webcam so that's the online exam bit covered when / if I get that far
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:46 pm
cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:25 pm

I've not scanned anything yet( I've been very careful not to transmit and the programming lead is at my parents
they aren't the nicest things to program by keys) I will have to visit at some time in the week as they need shopping / dad's petrol lawnmower has died so need to do a a social distancing visit or his grass will need a scythe

Will look into one thanks

Just registered my interest on the Essex site will see if the 19th April is available to start..

I'm back at work Wednesday but the Mrs is furloughed so I can get time to myself to do the online bits got a old laptop with a webcam so that's the online exam bit covered when / if I get that far
Simplex frequencies are

Vhf
S8 145.200
s9 145.225
S10 145.250
S11 145.275
S12 145.300
S13 145.325
S14 145.350
S15 145.375
S16 145.400
S17 145.425
S18 145.450
S19 145.475
S20 145.500 Calling Channel
S21 145.525
S22 145.550

Usually friends will meet up at a set time on any off these frequencies, for example I chat on 145.400 from 20.00hrs week days with a group.
Usually if you wanted to chat with someone you do not know, you would call out on the calling channel S20 which is frequency 145.500 If someone answers your call you both them move onto another channel to chat. So monitoring S20 is always a good channel to monitor.

There are Uhf channels as well but I don't use them so I'll look them up tomz
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I confess, I've "resigned" from this course; the stress of learning stuff thats really hard for me, on a computer that switches itself off every half hour, during a global pandemic lockdown, just didn't work for me - I have plenty of preppist stuff I can do without struggling so hard. When I've got a few other things under my belt, and I've got a new computer, I'll give this another go. Cpb, thanks for the help you've posted, I *will* be using it.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:49 am I confess, I've "resigned" from this course; the stress of learning stuff thats really hard for me, on a computer that switches itself off every half hour, during a global pandemic lockdown, just didn't work for me - I have plenty of preppist stuff I can do without struggling so hard. When I've got a few other things under my belt, and I've got a new computer, I'll give this another go. Cpb, thanks for the help you've posted, I *will* be using it.
Like any aspect of prepping, we need to enjoy our journey it's not a race but a lifestyle that builds up over time. I do have to say I think the training and books relating to amatuer radio are very very poor! They are all written in the dullest and dryest manner possible. When I was studying for my advanced exam, I was constantly amazed by the complexity people would go to describing the simplest of things! Don't be disheartened I am sure that you would fair far better once the pandemic is over sitting in a bricks and morter club local to you chatting things through with people who are genuinly interested in helping you learn. They are mostly men but try to drag a friend along for support, they all would love more women on the air. The more females on air the more likily their daughters and wives join in!

Always take a deep breath before reading anything ham related, I swear some of the books are written to stroke the ego of the writer more than help beginners.

73's

Ps 73 is used in ham as in morse code 3 is the mirror of 7 so it is --... ...-- it is very distinctive to hear so way used as a way of saying goodbye
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:49 am I confess, I've "resigned" from this course; the stress of learning stuff thats really hard for me, on a computer that switches itself off every half hour, during a global pandemic lockdown, just didn't work for me - I have plenty of preppist stuff I can do without struggling so hard. When I've got a few other things under my belt, and I've got a new computer, I'll give this another go. Cpb, thanks for the help you've posted, I *will* be using it.
Is it a standard pc or a laptop arzosah?

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

cbp125 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 am Like any aspect of prepping, we need to enjoy our journey it's not a race but a lifestyle that builds up over time. I do have to say I think the training and books relating to amatuer radio are very very poor! They are all written in the dullest and dryest manner possible. When I was studying for my advanced exam, I was constantly amazed by the complexity people would go to describing the simplest of things! Don't be disheartened I am sure that you would fair far better once the pandemic is over sitting in a bricks and morter club local to you chatting things through with people who are genuinly interested in helping you learn. They are mostly men but try to drag a friend along for support, they all would love more women on the air. The more females on air the more likily their daughters and wives join in!

Always take a deep breath before reading anything ham related, I swear some of the books are written to stroke the ego of the writer more than help beginners.

73's

Ps 73 is used in ham as in morse code 3 is the mirror of 7 so it is --... ...-- it is very distinctive to hear so way used as a way of saying goodbye
Thank you for being so understanding, cbp - and its good to hear your opinion on the literature. Its been driving me bananas :roll: :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 pm
It's a laptop - Andy, its awfully old, 2010, Windows 7, its had a few repairs, it really doesn't owe me anything. I was about to buy a new one (got advice from my-nephew-the-computer-hero) but never got round to it. .... I can't resist, though, what are you thinking?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 pm
It's a laptop - Andy, its awfully old, 2010, Windows 7, its had a few repairs, it really doesn't owe me anything. I was about to buy a new one (got advice from my-nephew-the-computer-hero) but never got round to it. .... I can't resist, though, what are you thinking?

Can of air duster and or a hoover with a crevice tool blow / suck air through the vents .. CPU (pentium chip) overheating shuts the computer down laptops suck in dust fluff and lint it clogs the heat sink it's fan can't cool it down so it shuts off

Look for cleaning Toshiba laptop on YouTube (well you brand of laptop :)

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It could also be a dry joint on the circuit board but I'll go with dust ;)