Common "prepper" freq

Paul_H

Common "prepper" freq

Post by Paul_H »

Hi all

I know this has prob been asked and iv just missed it when reading through the section.

Is there a common freq that has been adopted so that if anything was to happen then we can crank up the radios and keep and ear out for info or even just to pass on some info etc.

I know theres a few different bands out there so any info on say 40m,20m,2m etc or even the 446 stuff would be great I can pop the freqs into the scanner and hand held kit and know to keep an ear out on it.

Paul
HBP

Re: Common "prepper" freq

Post by HBP »

Basically................No :)

For anyone using the amateur bands, start looking on the calling frequencies (see RSGB band plans) or on a local repeater on vhf/uhf bands. http://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/

There are several prepper comms plans that specify frequencies and channels but unless you have a local group or agreement between like minded individuals it may not be of much use unless adopted by people.

Have a look here:
https://www.amrron.com/communications-r ... 3-project/
https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... ency-list/

For local "useful" frequencies to listen too, have a look here http://ukradioscanning.com/viewforum.php?f=6
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

Hi HBP

Thanks for the quick reply

I have all the usual suspects already setup in the various radios, receivers etc was more wondering if we had a UKP freq or if anyone held regular nets or anything along that line.

cheers

Paul
Appin

Post by Appin »

If you are looking for a pre agreed Prepper calling frequency then no we have not.

That said it is a reasonable and simple suggestion.

RAYNET seem to mostly use 2M and do some work on 40M ( aimed at National communications possibly using NVIS)

Ideally the frequency would be away from the main calling frequencies but not breach the guidelines on separation of modes.

Regards

Appin

(Intermediate licence)
HBP

Post by HBP »

All the raynet frequencies can be found here: http://www.raynet-uk.net/main/raynetfreqs.asp

2M is the most commonly used as most events they cover are local area coverage. You do sometimes find they will use a talk through system where they have 2M and 70cms or 6M in use at the same time to extend the range.

If you are interested in listening in on actual disater communications on HF, keep and eye on http://raynet-hf.net/newsannouncements they will often post about HF frequencies in use around the world when a disater strikes.

For users of this forum, it may be a good idea to come up with a standardised communicatrions plan. There are a lot of different frequencies/license types in use so could get a bit complicated.

Most of the license free stuff is short range. CB can be a bit longer range under some circumstances but amateur radio would be the most reliable/flexible.
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

Not sure how we got onto raynet and disaster stuff. I know where to go listening if there was an emergency thats not a problem at ll

What I was asking for is as a group here on UKP was there ever a common freq and setup agreed on that would be a fall back in the likes of a bug out / bug in situation.

If I do have to bug out or bug in I have a pre-arranged setup with where when and how to call into a local net and setup so that check ins can be made for welfare checks etc

If the world went to pot tomorrow and I had to hunker down at home or on the move then I am able to monitor a wide range of things so that is not a problem and I would be listening at least to keep informed but any information passed out or coming in would be well and truly covered by OPSEC so that the casual listener would have to know what the hell we were rabbiting on about or spend allot of time working it out.
Appin

Post by Appin »

RAYNET came up as they do disaster comms so their frequencies are a guide to what is thought to be useful.

As I said I am not ware of any pre agreed frequencies but 2M band is good for local comms and if you are looking for long distance 40M is probably the best option. You then have to agree a calling frequency and mode of transmission.

70cms might be an option.

OPSEC is an issue but if you use coded transmissions in the amateur bands you would instantly attract attention as it is illegal. OK in a disaster the authorities might be a bit busy but you are still drawing attention.

Regards

APpin
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

Guess I could have worded the original question a little better than I did, this giving up coffee lark is not good for you lol

I have currently pre-arranged setup on 2m and 70cms as the kit for that is 2 a penny really so that has already been set up. If it was a drawn out bug out then I would be including HF gear too but gen stuff is on 2/70 as the radio kit is nice and easy to carry where if given enough time HF could be an option but a bit more involved than a turn on and go setup and it keeps it within the rules of KISS.

For general use back to back comms have found a turn on and use set to be easier to use the less you have to show someone the less they have to remember and hopefully the less panic involved.

There are ways to pop code in and not sound too out there and hopefully never have to it to too much use but I think it might peak someones interest but not to the point of raising the red flag. Well thats the plan but till yo use it in anger you never quite know do you but guess thats half the fun is finding out :)
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Did anything get decided?.
I'll admit to not having a licence, but I have a VHF handheld and would not worry about the legality of using if things were serious.
A network of skilled preppers could be a great resource if only as an information exchange and sitrep facility
appreciate this might be better through PMs and that mutual trust would be needed
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am licenced and I would be interested in having regular prepper nets on hf. I would assume 80m would cover most of the UK so we could all join in. As for local contact you would be far better getting a licence then you could use the repeater network around the country, if you do not have a licence then most people would just not talk to you, or the repeater keeper would just shut the repeater down. For very local stuff licence free PMR would work well. This is legal and free, I can post the frequencies if you need but they are UHF not VHF.