Rearfang wrote:Any one use them
Like the look of them pros and cons
Very robust
Can be hand cranked
Green
Fairly cheap
Cons
Bloody big and heavy
I like my Clansman 320 for all the reasons you list above. Yes, it is big and heavy but it's designed to survive on a battlefield, in all weathers. I use mine with the standard wire coils in long wire and dipole set ups. I sometimes use a more modern trapped dipole for 20m and 40m which the internal tuner does tune okay. On a long wire I've had good DX reports into Eastern Europe on 20m and the far west of Ireland on 40m.

All in all, I'd recommend one as it's the ideal prepper radio. If you've got any Q's drop me a PM.

Briggs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
HBP

Re: clansman radios

Post by HBP »

One downside of the clansman HF radios is that you have to dial in a frequency and cant as easily browse the band with a VFO like on Ham radios.

Another issue can be power. Assuming the portable radios, you will need the 24v batteries and charger. Plus for powering from mains you will need other kit as they dont have a 12v connection on them like comercial ham radio gear.

Also, for HF work they really need modding to allow lower side band to provide the full range of use. Not a big job but a beneficial mod.

They are good bits of kit for what they were designed for in the 1970's. Military use on predefined frequencies.

You do get a lot for your money but be aware that by the time you have bought a radio in good condition plus all the ancillaries you may not be far of the costs of comercial ham gear.

To weigh this up, start with what you want to do with them and why you would want one?

Personally, I am on the look out for a PRC320 at a reasonable price just because I like the idea. I have other radio kit so for me, this is really just another toy.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

HBP raises some good points and I should really have taken more time in my post to put together a list of what you'll need to get started, assuming you're opting for an RT320.

RT320 Radio with LSB mod
Battery, 24v, 4ah, preferably x 2
DCCU charger unit which will have the 24volt output to charge the batteries. The DCCU comes in either 24v or 12v input versions. I'd go for 12v as it will work from your existing ham radio 12v supply.
2 x long wire antennae. Don't be tempted to make your own - the proper ones come with pre-defined markers at 1m, 5m and 10m which are for setting up dipoles and long wires to the correct lengths as per the guide stamped on the back of the radio.
1 x dipole adaptor
1 x telephone type handset.
1 x counterpoise wire kit. I find a short piece of earth road and a coil of wire works just as well.

Optional.
whip antenna with spring adaptor
Headset. There are some pretty good noise cancelling ones on eBay, along with throat mics and standard headsets
1ah battery and hand charging unit. If you opt for a rigid mounting/carrying frame then you'll need the smaller 1ah battery if using the hand crank.
Mounting frame. Options are full size 1980's style began frame, lightweight frame or a non-framed bergan.
External speakers

One good bit of kit to try and get is a non military coax adaptor for the whip antenna socket. This means you can use a more conventional balanced dipole and still use the internal tuner.

Here is a link to the manual http://radionerds.com/images/f/f8/UK-PR ... ndbook.pdf
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Thanks guy on serious lookout for the right kit
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Good luck with trying to get one repaired when it fails.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I bought one a few years back. As stated by others, there are a lot of pluses, but for me unless you can get everything for under £200 its too much money. I don't think you can really go wrong with a Yaesu FT-817ND, plus a WonderWand WideBander for on the go and get a bigger radio for home.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Has anyone tried one of these with an FT817. I'm not expecting much for £20 but the reviews on eHam and elsewhere are mixed so if anyone has one, what's it like?

I'm thinking of using it with the Clansman wire antenna.

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/mountain-end ... -or-built/
Pointboy

Post by Pointboy »

Out of curiosity, because i am wanting a long lasting, robust portable radio, where can you buy these items that are fully functional?. i know they have smaller hand held variants as i have used them when i was in the army but have never been able to find anywhere to buy them?!.
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
HBP

Post by HBP »

Pointboy wrote:Out of curiosity, because i am wanting a long lasting, robust portable radio, where can you buy these items that are fully functional?. i know they have smaller hand held variants as i have used them when i was in the army but have never been able to find anywhere to buy them?!.
eBay. Just search for clansman

Lots of info in the various models here http://www.clansman-radio.co.uk/ and http://armyradio.com/Clansman-Radios/