anyway ended up ordering a Albrecht AE-6110

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mobile-cbs ... multi.html

seems to get some good reviews...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZ8_gCQ1T8

http://www.cbradio.nl/abrecht/Manual_Al ... _PL_RO.pdf

a car mag mount and a 5ft whip

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-a ... bitor.html

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/magnetic-m ... turbo.html

few friends locally use it / have access (farmer types)

so any hints and tips ;) :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
easy rider

Re: CB hints and tips......

Post by easy rider »

I think swr is factory set on these antennas.
Place antenna in centre of roof highest point on vehicle , if you have a screw in car audio antenna close too it unscrew it when using cb as it can effect swr.

Wire it straight to battery with a 2/3 amp fuse inline within first 6"8" of cable from battery.
I prefer spade push in fuses type none glass easy blow ,you can buy multiples from China cheap ,weather resistant 10/15 amp types.
Decent 10 /15 amp cable is cheap on fleebay too with decent covering but you can use lesser amp rating .
Modern cars fag lighters don't push the amps to drive some I believe.
Although when trying mine it worked but lights were dimmed as opposed to battery wired.
Some prefer earth to body not battery .
If the stretch of your mic cable is too much buy a extension cable ,worth extra 8/9£ for less hassle as most units are out of direct sight mounted due to easy theft / spotting.
Plenty advice on net re wiring it up correctly ,best advise antenna centre , highest point .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks for that :)

was speaking to a auto spark today and he says that i might as well go to the fag lighter as its switched.... and mine is rated at 180w (15a)

also he sited most modern cars are far more electrically / RF stable / shielded due to the electronics and computer networks running most cars ECU's and body computers will stick a fag lightener plug on it and see what happens :)

its a really small unit i have so i must be able to mount it somewhere easy enough its almost pocket sized :) only let down is the hard wired perminantly attached microphone

HBP

Post by HBP »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:was speaking to a auto spark today and he says that i might as well go to the fag lighter as its switched.... and mine is rated at 180w (15a)

also he sited most modern cars are far more electrically / RF stable / shielded due to the electronics and computer networks running most cars ECU's and body computers will stick a fag lightener plug on it and see what happens :)
I wouldnt recomend using the fag lighter if you can help it. RF can have a funny effect on car electronics. You may get away with it with a low power CB but it usually worth putting the extra effort in.

Some good info on here: http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html A bit technical and american but covers wiring radio kit into vehicles and things to watch out for on modern cars.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

read the cars owners manual as a lot give recommended locations for aerials, and if you use the cigarette lighter you could well get EMC problems with the CB and possible the Car as Computers no likey RF.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks for the tips :) especially the link hbp my car has the battery sensor and stall at traffic lights eco hippy system

Know there is a supplementary fuse box supply in the dash that's unused due to it been poverty spec that comes off the main battery live and will earth it to the chassis as I have the battery sensor

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On a side note what's the bar graph for on the lcd?

Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Not a bad little rig Andy.
At a guess I'd say the bar graph is your signal strength indicator.
When you receive a signal it will light up the bars with 1 being a weak signal and 10 being a strong signal. It can give you an idea of how far a station is from you in an ideal world.
With ham it works something similar with 9 being a very strong signal and 9+ would be what your 10 would indicate, a better than average top strength signal.

Hope that made sense lol,

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Am getting very tempted to replace my old realistic set with a new president grant 2 does anybody haveexperience of them?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I can do the straight FM CB frequencies on my quad band rig but if I was thinking about including a dedicated CB rig to my station I would want USB and LSB, the President Grant 2 would be what I'd have on my consideration list. It seems to tick all the boxes !

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack