CB hints and tips......

Hamradioop

Re: CB hints and tips......

Post by Hamradioop »

regarding the Baofeng Radios the best one to get are the UV5... as they cover both VHF and UHF frequencies as the bf-888s. only covers uhf.

couple of reviews to read below.

http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/baofeng- ... eview.html

https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/04/0 ... 5r-part-i/
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Harry, dont forget about CB though mate, at the end of the day, you can buy a CB and just use it, its ok everyone saying get your amature licence, but until you do or even if you dont, CB is good for some situations and the fact is you can use it now, we always talk about SHTF situations and how in that case all rules go out of the window, but its actually more likely that it wont be end of the world zombie time whaen it does and things will be far more simple, CB is fun, there are some people still using it and if you have a base station and one in the car, you can still talk to home. It gives you familiarity with just using and setting up radio.

I have an amature Licence, but its not stopped me using CB, i can talk to my wife and kids on it, but i cant on a 2m/70cm radio.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Also bear in mind that CB is the official emergency communications network for Britain.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Malthouse wrote:Also bear in mind that CB is the official emergency communications network for Britain.
Is it ?? seriously? if so which type 27 fm or am UK, Cept EU ??

cheers in advance for clarification.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Hamradioop wrote:regarding the Baofeng Radios the best one to get are the UV5... as they cover both VHF and UHF frequencies as the bf-888s. only covers uhf.

couple of reviews to read below.

http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/baofeng- ... eview.html

https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/04/0 ... 5r-part-i/
Yes I have just been given three UV5s retuned to only work as PMR types stored away for emergency comms in between family after a big event if the other system fails, I got them from another lad up here who is not bothered with radio systems any more, they came with 771 ariels, spare battery packs, speaker mikes etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preppergb wrote:
Malthouse wrote:Also bear in mind that CB is the official emergency communications network for Britain.

from memory its ch9 on uk band
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
preppergb wrote:

from memory its ch9 on uk band
Cheers Andy but just one channel on one band is our NETWORK?, I still have a tatty UK legal hand held and Channel 9 in this area this morning is someone playing rap music interspersed with swearing, with some dude in a Quarry truck trying to find out where someone else has left the keys to the cabin !!!, not really inspirational for a OFFICIAL EM COM network ?
G
munchh

Post by munchh »

That sort of thing needs reporting, but would they really care, its alot like that around most towns, but only because its been left for these people to do it, cb is ours, all of ours, not just the muppets. :(

its a bit like PMR 446, its now full of people on beofung or similar radios on 5watts all doing what they like, just because you can buy something doesnt mean its ok to use in a way it shouldnt be used.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer on the chinese radios, I have many, but we are not in a SHTF situation right now, so we should be using what we are able, if people used cb as it should be and not for church radio and the like things like ch9 may be monitored again.

I remember putting a magmount on my car and my neighbour asking what it was for, "cb" I said, "whats that" he said, so I explained.
He looked at me for a bit with his head to one side like a confussed puppy, put his hand in his pocket and passed me his mobile, "its 2015 you know"!

Says it all really, some old tech that still works, just gets forgotten because of new tech.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Amateur Radio is a good prep as you will learn about how radio waves propagate and which frequencies will help you achieve your desired result. Yes you can buy a CB and set it up and use it straight away, but there is a lot more you can do with the correct Knowledge.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

munchh wrote:
I remember putting a magmount on my car and my neighbour asking what it was for, "cb" I said, "whats that" he said, so I explained.
He looked at me for a bit with his head to one side like a confussed puppy, put his hand in his pocket and passed me his mobile, "its 2015 you know"!
I had that but on a site with next to no mobile signal and I knew he was on the same network.......

Told him to ring someone.. Err I have no signal...

Picked up mic knowing my mate was farming about 2 miles away " hello Dave". "Hello Andy" "get the kettle on Dave's mum I'll call in for a brew on my way home"

Followed by blank looks....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine