Preferable water source

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jennyjj01

Re: Preferable water source

Post by jennyjj01 »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm I am sold on the sawyer filter, though the price is high enough to sting so it is a purchase I am going to need to plan for or sell something to raise the cash. But is it actually necessary since I already have the mill bank bag? I like the tarp too as it would have several uses and that kind of value/efficiency matters to me. I already own a poncho, while a lot smaller it could be rigged to catch something.

I do have some 2l bottles of water but one bedroom is not enough space to store water along with everything else. It already looks like a storage room. And I do need to try and live everyday in it too, so it is quite limited.
You highlight an interesting challenge that we might all face, with LOTS of variables.

I guess it can be summed up as ...
"Store enough [water/food/whatever] to last you until you can locate and harvest a longer term supply" and we can all only guess what we might need, in what scenario. The medium/long term solution could be anything from deliveroo on the credit card to a cabin in the woods.

How much effort and cash (and space) we spend on the short term stash is balanced by how much effort and cash and space we put into the 'equipment' to build a longer term solution. We don't aspire to store 5 years of food: We maybe store a few weeks worth PLUS maybe some barter goods and bags of seed and a way of hunting rabbits. If we can adapt and adopt, we can locate and hide resources in plain sight.
(E.g. I like the poncho as a water catcher, the wheelie bin as a water butt reservoir and a tarp as tent, water catcher and ...tarp)

For something as essential as water, we need to watch the resourcefulness of the victims of drought, maybe in war torn desserts. Prepare to bring any old dirty water into service and consider what would make it potable. personal Sawyer straw and some purifying tabs are a buy it and forget it prep that takes little space. I guess we are lucky that in this country, water is literally everywhere, IF we can use it.

Meanwhile, there's a book for nearly every question.

This one seems topical.... I don't advocate downloading a dodgy copy, but you can get it on amazon or as a free trial audiobook
https://b-ok.cc/book/2551601/b926ea

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong