Empty Water Containers

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Lemne

Empty Water Containers

Post by Lemne »

We have no outside space and are struggling with storing water. I don't want to put that much weight up in the attic. I could possibly store 4 full 25 litre containers in the flat without it looking like a warehouse .. just. Would it be worth buying and storing empty containers in the attic which could be filled if things started heading towards a SHTF situation. I know this is not ideal but I would hope that in most situations we would have a few hours warning. I can't see another way round it at the mo. Any ideas?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Empty Water Containers

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kick boards in the kitchen pull off?

2l mineral water bottles ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:33 pm Kick boards in the kitchen pull off?

2l mineral water bottles ;)
Or recycled pop bottles if you're on a budget.... Or just plain stingy like me :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:20 pm We have no outside space and are struggling with storing water. I don't want to put that much weight up in the attic. I could possibly store 4 full 25 litre containers in the flat without it looking like a warehouse .. just. Would it be worth buying and storing empty containers in the attic which could be filled if things started heading towards a SHTF situation. I know this is not ideal but I would hope that in most situations we would have a few hours warning. I can't see another way round it at the mo. Any ideas?
A few 2l bottles of water (17p from ASDA) stashed behind the kickboards. Though I'd put food first as it would be a grim disaster where water goes offline long term.
If you have wheelly bins, keep them moderately clean and get a few wheelly bin sized bin bags. If the SReallyHTF, first thing you do is tip them out, double bag and fill with a hosepipe or bucket. If you have a grey bin for bottles, fill them too for double capacity.
Of course you'll need water sterilising options.. Straw & tabs
As to your suggestion. You can get collapsible water bottles. Loft boards are only good for up to about 25L per square metre... But distributed on the joists and not rested on the plaster. Try not to store refilled bottles because of germs.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We have just had a burst in our kitchen a few weeks ago which went through and took the ceiling out of the flat below. A minor miracle as there is concrete between but it found a weak spot in the corner. I may look at some low boxes that slip under to put the bottles in so that if any of the bottles burst they stay in the boxes and don't flood through. Cracking idea.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You may be able to fit a few bottles behind the bath panel. I have the same problem with space in the marionette although do have a garden and water butts.
I work on the theory that a 3 day shortage here is a risk as is a boil notice so I hold enough to cover that. If the water company can't get a bowser out after that then SHTF really has happened and while I will save as much as I can if I get notice (bath, water butts filled etc) it is a risk I just have to live with.

Have you thought about how to manage the toilet if no water in a flat?
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:16 am You may be able to fit a few bottles behind the bath panel. I have the same problem with space in the marionette although do have a garden and water butts.
I work on the theory that a 3 day shortage here is a risk as is a boil notice so I hold enough to cover that. If the water company can't get a bowser out after that then SHTF really has happened and while I will save as much as I can if I get notice (bath, water butts filled etc) it is a risk I just have to live with.

Have you thought about how to manage the toilet if no water in a flat?
Bath panel would be good as well. Think that and the kitchen is going to be my plan going forward.

For the toilet we have a porta pottie from camping which could be used for one fill :? I have also got a fold to go toilet (https://www.shopyourway.com/reliance-fo ... /452575825) which I had for sale as I've had it years and never used it until I realised it would be of use now. I have 6 spare gel bags and then I have bought a black bucket which fits underneath. I am going to line it with a strong black bag and use cat litter sort of like a composting toilet. That's the plan but we are going to have a water free day one weekend to test the theory with the bucket and cat litter. Should be fun!! not lol
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Could I just suggest working out how far you all live from running water supplies?
Last edited by cbp125 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You may be able to make out the toilet supplies by only using them for solid waste. Boys pee in a bottle and girls can do the same if they are She Wee trained (a good idea for camping festivals and travel anyway). Bottle can safely be used to water the weeds on nearest wasteland or a compost heap of you have access to one.

The biggest headache is getting this particular female family member to use a she wee happily after 50 some years of conditioning to only pee while sitting. :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have just bottled 5 +gallons of ale. I bottle it in 2 litre pop bottles. I am tight! That was 12 x 2 litre bottles. You CAN reuse them.Wash out,fill with cold water,drop of thin ,unscented bleach.when ready,empty,NO rinse,and refill with tap water.In a cool ,dark place that will be good for a year.Given that the bare bones recommended amount is one gallon,per person ,per day,then those 12 bottles are good for 5 people for a day. They are easy to store too.Also easy to handle,and much easier than a 25 litre container.If you only store two days worth,and then in the meantime found an alternative source,I reckon that could solve a problem.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.