Real water problems

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jansman

Real water problems

Post by jansman »

Chennai water crisis: 'We can't do anything' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48674775
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Re: Real water problems

Post by Arzosah »

Horrifying that they might simply run out of water ... it nearly happened in South Africa last year, California the year before, and Barcelona a few years before that. They haven't had much rain for 4 years, and now they're totally dependent on tankers ... it just takes one more problem before that becomes a catastrophe. Let's hope that the rains return.
jansman

Post by jansman »

When it happens in a First World nation, like the USA, it’s ( to me) not a big deal, because they have resources. In a place like India though, where poor people really are poor, it is catastrophic.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very true. Increasingly, I think thats what the globe is going to look like: every country in the world is going to be faced with these issues, but the First World ones, for now at least, will throw money and resources at it, solve it for at least the medium term. The Third World, maybe even the Second World countries, they don't have the money or the resources, and external help will be slower and slower to come, in my opinion anyway, so the catastrophes will have terrible impacts.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Something as simple as water can create mass migration and armed conflict so quickly. A timely reminder of how vulnerable we all are and not to moan about the rain.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

This thread has made me think about our water resources again.

We currently have 1 x IBC tank (1000ltr) collecting rainwater and 7 x (300ltr?) conventional green water butts doing the same. We also have 2x blue (220ltr) empty / clean water butts ready to be filled with tap water if the need arises and a pop-up, light weight indoor tank (120 ltr) for the same. Total about 3600 litres.

Assuming 2 adults each using a maximum of 3 litres each, per day, that should last us around 600 days. In reality it's probably a years worth and it would hopefully rain and top up supplies at some point.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Three litres per day is very little for over a year. Sphere humanitarian standards specify 15l per person per day for cooking, drinking and sanitation. Sanitation could go in the short term but not the long term.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

If I remember correctly,isnt it lack of water due to low or non existant rainfall that is causing people from Central America to move to United States
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here is a link: https://www.unwater.org/publications/wa ... fographic/

I can remember reading 20+ years ago,that clean water would be more important than oil.

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

One thing I know is that two of us can get by very comfortably on 55L/day without feeling like we're scrimping at all. I know this from our stays in the caravan, & even at that we're showering daily (ships shower granted but no less clean) and 5 of it is drinking water. So sanitation-wise we could likely easily go down to showers every 3 days or less.